Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2004, 12:22 AM

Default Party limit SNGs

Slightly off-topic, but ... does anybody here give much thought to playing in the Party *limit* SNGs? I signed up for one of these by mistake today (I meant to sign up for a no-limit SNG) but the play looked pretty soft. The reason that I'm posting this here is because I suspect that "we" would be better equipped than your average player to adapt as the number of opponents at the table decreases.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Party limit SNGs

"The reason that I'm posting this here is because I suspect that "we" would be better equipped than your average player to adapt as the number of opponents at the table decreases."

The number of players decreases in a NL tourney too, so I guess Im missing your point.

-SpacePirate
Old 05-29-2004, 01:44 AM

Even if you are a short handed player by trade, you might play well at the end if you can get there. But a full time full table player would have an advantage on you in the beggining. Its a trade off.

-SpacePirate
Old 05-29-2004, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if you are a short handed player by trade, you might play well at the end if you can get there. But a full time full table player would have an advantage on you in the beggining. Its a trade off

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree for a bunch of reasons - perhaps the best is that the end of the tourney is when you make the money and in a SNG its not hard to get there

stripsqueez -chickenhawk
Old 05-29-2004, 06:00 AM

I too have occassionally signed up for a limit SNG instead of NL at Party [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The games look very soft, but Pirate has a point. The limit games take a LOT longer to start eliminating players than NL, the all-in-with-anything morons are done with in the first half-hour or so in NL, then the short-stacks are out shortly after and you are suddenly down to 4-5 players and the game gets more interesting. The limit games take forever to kick people, and so you do need to be quite familiar with full game play. Just folding out a lot you pay many, many more blinds than NL.

I think they are beatable, but they are pretty long-winded affairs and I rather use my SH experience to push my advantage much harder in a NL than limit SNG. For this reason I have not really explored them, but in the few I have accidentally got involved in, it was pretty dull and I did not get much by way of cards so failed to get in the money (I expect to be in the money in a low-level SNG about 40-50% of the time NL.

Anyone got experience of $ returns/hr playing Limit SNG's? I imagine it is only about half that of NL, which is only just about the same level as ring games and more subject to variance.

I see SNG's as a light diversion, with some useful experience gained for a crack at some of the bigger tourneys. I don't think limit tourneys will show a worthwhile return on the time invested, from what I have seen.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:43 AM

Hi Nate, The only reason to play sng's is to gain similiar experience to a final table of a MTT. Well that and boredom. I would avoid sng's at all cost because, your hourly earn is much greater at ring games than sng's. If you are playing high buy-in MTT's and have little experince with FT situations sng are a great way to gain valuable FT experience.
Best Regards,
book