Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2004, 01:09 PM

Default PokerStars or PartyPoker

Hi all:

This is my first time on these forums, and I was directed here by a friend I play poker with IRL. My first question, as I am just getting started with online poker is where to play and how to start playing. I am a very good live player (i.e. 3 days of local poker games and I'm +$200 in profit). I am currently reading The Theory of Poker, and I would like to start playing online poker once I finish this book. I want to be a profit player, not semi-pro or anything, but to make like $200/wk? I know a lot of the players on these forums started where I am starting so I am asking all of you to share your beginnings with me, so it can better help me to get on the right start to a successful online poker career. Basically, should I start at PartyPoker or PokerStars and what stakes should I play and what approach I should have to all of this. Thanks and I look forward to talking with everyone.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: PokerStars or PartyPoker

Three days means little. Read a few books, read a lot here. Start at micro limits and build a bankroll. Post hands on the appropriate forum and be open to criticism of your play.

Oh, and tighten up a bit (never played with you, but its almost always good advice)
Old 05-29-2004, 01:29 PM

start at partypoker - Party's ring games are easier -

If you got 200 bucks - start at 1/2 or 2/4 and work on building up your bankroll - I have 200 on Party right now, and I'll either play 2/4 or 2 1/2 games - but a good loose 2/4 game is worth the attention on it's own.

pick games with high average pots...(click on the right hand column to sort it from highest to lowest) - sometimes the lists are a bit long, but anything with 8-10 times the BB in an average pot is juicy - and usually there's one or two of those with only 1 or 2 players waiting - and then play tight ABC poker -

and with pots that big - observe- is it cause everyone limps in? - then be more ready to play suited connectors. - Is it because a fish raises a lot? - play more hands like KJ offsuit vs. him and repop him more often to get it heads up... - basic theory of poker stuff - (I'm rereading it right now...good stuff)

anything with 6-8 times the BB ($24-30 in a 2/4 game) usually ain't worth the trouble - if you can beat it, great...but they're usually too tight. Maybe you'll feel like raising the first 5 pots preflop...it might bring up the avg...LOL

that value assessment goes down, BTW as you go up in limits....that's just waht I've noticed in 2/4 play recently - I barely broke even in a PS game last night after 2 hrs cause av. pot size dropped to 24 bucks before I got out. - so game selection is VERY important....

and don't play on a table with whiskeytown...I'll take your money...LOL

pax
RB
Old 05-29-2004, 02:26 PM

I don't think it matters too much where you start, if you are any good you should be able to breat the easiest games at any site, Stars, PArty or Paradise. Download the software from all 3 and try it out and see which you like best. Party has the most players so your game selection will be better. Stars in know for having better tournament software. I would check and see which has the best deposit promotions and use that to decide.

You can't avoid the learning curve. When I first started I would win at the lowest limit, then give it back when I moved up. That happened again and again before I would move up and be able to win at a new level. You will run into bad luck, and better players, so be prepared for some tough runs, they will happen.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:50 PM

Welcome to 2+2 and listen to Mr. Ross. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

pick games with high average pots...(click on the right hand column to sort it from highest to lowest) - sometimes the lists are a bit long, but anything with 8-10 times the BB in an average pot is juicy - and usually there's one or two of those with only 1 or 2 players waiting - and then play tight ABC poker -

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree to some extent. At the lower limits, I would consider 7-9BB to be about an average pot, 10-12 or more to be above average. In any case, I think that low to average size games are easier and more profitable, especially for a beginner. Above average pots are usually the result of a couple of players who play more aggressively than average. This can be difficult to handle for a new player. Smaller pots are the result of passive players and calling stations. Personally, I prefer these games because then I am the most aggressive player at the table. I like being the big frog in a small pond. If a game gets aggressive I can adjust to it, but a very new player is typically uncomfortable with aggressive players, and will lay down too many good hands. I'd say start small, and move up with experience.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:21 PM

Alright, thanks for the advice all. I take it all into heavy consideration coming from all of you. I need to know something else: how different is online poker from real poker? I do well in all or most of my live games but I am wondering how I need to change my game for the online play. I will deposit $200 into one of the programs, but from what I am told already I want to invest my money in either PP or PS. I just do not know which to choose. I've played play money on both and they both seem feasible, but how do you make the decision on where to put your money? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] Anyways, I will play tight, but I also do not know the right approach yet -- I suppose that is the "learn from experience" part of it all. Also, I would like more input on what stakes I should start at. If I am putting in $200 roughly and I am new to online poker, where should I play and how? I heard the .01/.02 and .02/.04 are not even worth practicing on if you plan to play $1/$2 because the betting and gameplay is so different. So, I suppose I will stay away from those tables. Thank you all again and feel free to post beyond what I have to say, even anticipate my further questions if you will. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2004, 07:54 PM

Indeed, playing anything below .50/1.00 is not worth your time if you're used to winning at the B&M. Your hourly average won't even qualify as minimum wage.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:12 PM

If you are just starting out playing poker online, you should put $50 into pokerstars and start playing the .02/.04 and .05/.10 games. They play alot like the .50/1.00 games at party so they will be good practice while you get used to playing online. Once you get comfortable playing online you can switch to party poker.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:25 PM

I, personally, would recommend Party, because there is better game selection, but really you can't make a mistake going with either party or stars.

One thing I have to warn you about - you need to make sure that you aren't cocky. Cockiness can lead you to play hands that you shouldn't. Realize that the $200 you have won with friends may very well have been a run of good luck. To become a consistent winner, you are going to have to take the game seriously, read the Theory of Poker, and read and post on this forum.

You are actually in very good shape, since you found this forum before you started playing. 95% of the players out there have no clue.

Good luck, and aces to you.

Will