Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 11:57 PM

Default OK to fold TT?

Bear with me. I don't have that sexy PokerTracker yet as I've just started playing for money the last couple of months. I'll do my best to reenact the scene....

Anyways, I'm playing NL-25 at Party. I got dealt TT in early to mid position. I called the big blind because a couple people had stayed in and I didn't feel like I was going to knock anyone out with a raise. Then, someone raised to 3 dollars, and 3 others called right after him. I decided to fold. My feeling on this was the people who called the raise and the raiser himself had the J-A covered. So if any of those pop up I'm in trouble. Not only that, but with a raise I may be beat already. My only hope is to flop a set, but did I really want to call a raise like that on a set prayer? Please give your thoughts.

Also, it doesn't really matter, but my T never showed up and the winning hand was pair of Jacks. It may have worked out for me this time, but I'm curious what everyone thinks would be the better play. Thanks
Old 05-27-2004, 12:57 AM

Default Re: OK to fold TT?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing NL-25 at Party. I got dealt TT in early to mid position. I called the big blind because a couple people had stayed in and I didn't feel like I was going to knock anyone out with a raise. Then, someone raised to 3 dollars, and 3 others called right after him. I decided to fold. My feeling on this was the people who called the raise and the raiser himself had the J-A covered. So if any of those pop up I'm in trouble. Not only that, but with a raise I may be beat already. My only hope is to flop a set, but did I really want to call a raise like that on a set prayer? Please give your thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call. With a raiser to $3 and 3 callers, that's at least $12 in the pot and $2.50 to go for you. You'll flop a set with a pocket pair about 1 out of every 8 times, so you need around a $20 pot to give you a positive return on your preflop investment. With $12 already in it, it's more than probable that if you hit, you'll be able to extract at least $8 more from the other 4 hands and possibly bust one or more of them. Sets can contribute to a huge chunk of your profits; you can easily muck your hand if you miss and high cards flop, while you can drag a huge pot if you hit. You should always be looking for chances like the one you described: 3 or 4 other hands in the flop to give you implied odds if you hit.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:55 AM

Often in these situations you use the 10/20 (aka the 5%/10% rule)

The idea is that if you are calling with a pocket pair and feel you need a set to win you should call if the amount you can win (your stack or his whichever is less) is more than 20 times the amount you have to call and fold if the amount you can win is less than 10 times the amount you have to call. In between use your judgement. If the others are pretty loose and are likely to give up their chips if you hit then in between you should tend to call and if not fold.

This rule generally is for heads up situations. In this situation you can be looser. Basically you should call if you feel you can get at least the amount in to justify it odds wise, as the previous poster calculated out.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:05 AM

You are getting almost the right pot odds to hit your set. Throw in the implied odds from hitting it and that's a horrible fold. Pocket pairs in mutli-way raised pots are your friend.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:43 AM

Judging by the replies given, I still have a lot to learn.

I would have done exactly what you did and mucked my tens. Since I've only played 600 hands of NL, I don't feel to bad!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:34 AM

Not only should you call, but consider re-raising. There is a lot of money in the pot. If you push now, no one has really shown much strenght yet (except the $3 raise) An all in here will likely get you heads up with someone that you are ahead of OR take the pot down immediately.

Josie Wales
Old 05-27-2004, 12:13 PM

Call.

You have the odds to go for the set and win a big multi-way pot. There are some other non-threatening flops for you too that you can win with.

But if the flop is all rags you should still consider folding depending on the action, because the odds are increased that your overpair may be no good.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 PM

In a multi-way pot with a PF raiser, you would only want to play your 10s for set value. Since the implied odds are there, you should have gone for it. If a 10 doesn't fall on the flop, then it's an easy fold if there are overcards and a lot of action around you.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:39 AM

Yeah even if rags flop just abandon your overpair if there is action.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:53 AM

In this situation(you limped in MP w/10-10, someone raised 6 times the BB, and got 3 callers before it got back to you), I'd say that this is a turbo-muck for me almost all of the time.

Of course it depends greatly on stack sizes and any reads you have. The only other option I can see as feasable would be a re-raise, but only if you can be confidant that you can get it to a minimum of a HU situation.

Overall, I'd say it's almost never wrong to fold in this situation....