Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2004, 09:20 AM

Default 2 simple questions

I have read that you are only suppose to play 15% of hands... what exaclty does this mean? Only play 15% through to the river or does that include just seeing the flop?

I ask because my "flops seen" is usually around 30-35% and I feel like im playing mostly only strong hands. Perhaps this is just a huge leak in my game?

And what is this VP%IP number mean that is frequently mentioned?

thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: 2 simple questions

If you're playing loose games then 30-35% flops seen sounds just about right. 15% is way too tight unless perhaps you are in a super tough and aggressive game.

VP$IP means volutarily put money into pot. This is different from flops seen in that free looks from the BB don't count towards this percentage. Therefore you're VP$IP should be a bit lower than your flops seen %.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:30 AM

Play x% of your hands means that you should only see flops with x%. Since your'e going to have opportunities to see "free" or "cheap" flops from the blinds, I use the x% to represent money I voluntarily put money into the pot to see the flop.

Including the blinds, a 30-35% flop rate isn't too bad. I'd would try to make it a little less, but it's not out of line. I'm lucky if I see 1 hand/orbit outside of the blinds that is worth pursuing. It can be very boring and frustrating, but being patient is part of winning in the long run.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:33 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

No you read that most pro's only see around 15% of hands. What that means is if you take the sum of all the hands they see a flop and divide that by total hands the number will come out around 15%. That doesn't magically equate to only a certain few hands though, because they will play different hands based on table texture(loose, tight, passive, aggressive) and position at any given time. So if you see a fairly good player come in UTG by just calling, he is telling you he has a pretty good hand because there are few hands he will play from there. OTOH if he comes in late in an un-raised pot, with several limpers he may raise with many hands he would never even call with in EP.

Now as for your seeing 30 to 35% of flops, I suspect that is a little high, but it's hard to tell from a number alone. (Actually the number is high enough that you’re likely seeing too many flops) I suspect your game is a bit passive so you likely see many hands from the BB so we start off with 10%, let's say you see half of your sb hands and maybe another 10% of all hands that would leave you around 25%. I'd have a hard time stretching it to 30%.

So what you may want to do is take a series of 100 starting hands, and write them up into a post. Put in the action up to you and then your hand and your decision to play or pass.

VP%IP - I believe this is a Poker tracker number that equates to Voluntarily putting money in the pot preflop. So if you are in the BB and everyone limps to you, then that hand is not counted in the pre-flop percentage because you did not choose to play.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:20 PM

it depends what type of game you play. Do you play short handed games? If so you will be seeing more flops, in a full game i would say somewhere around 25% would be about right. You also said:
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like im playing mostly only strong hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you should review a starting hand chart and check on what you feel are strong hands