Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2004, 11:02 PM

Default How bad was this play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($30.70)
UTG+1 ($24.50)
UTG+2 ($53.50)
MP1 ($24)
MP2 ($6.75)
MP3 ($25)
CO ($19.45)
Hero ($35.30)
SB ($31.50)
BB ($21.70)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $4, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero raises to $7.5, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $3.50.

Flop: ($15.75) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
UTG+1 bets $17 (All-In), Hero calls $17.

Turn: ($49.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: ($49.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: $49.75
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $49.75, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($49.75).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG+1 shows 6c 6d (one pair, sixes).
Hero shows Ad Kc (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins $49.75. </font>

At the flop I put my oppenent on a bluff or at worst a QX or JX. So I figured I had at worst 10 outs w/ my straight and pair draws.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:12 PM

Default Re: How bad was this play?

In my opinion, if a guy that doesn't have a big stack wants to risk his whole stack with 3rd pair, and put an 8 x BB raise out there in EP with a hand like 66, he deserves to lose his stack... screams nothing but LAG to me.....

I think if I were goin to re-raise here, I'd make it a little more than $3.50.... I'd make it $10 to go or so, and then see what he thinks, although players like this are mighty quick to push with almost any pair/suited connector, I think more than likely against a LAG, you'll come out ahead in the long run.....
Old 05-25-2004, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I should've reraised much more pre-flop, I usually do, don't know why I just hit the standard raise button that time.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 AM

As you realize now, I probably would have raised more preflop. I think given that you only raised it to 7.5, I would probably fold on the flop, given that your opponent probably has a pair and not all of your ten outs could be good. Easily could have AQ, AJ, KQ, KJ, or even a slowplayed AA-JJ.

By raising more preflop, you also make for an easy call on the flop. That is in hindsight though.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:28 AM

Pretty bad imo.. Cant see what makes this worth a call really, no matter whether he is a habitual bluffer or not. Just fold and wait for a better situation to come up.

Also, like the others say, if you are reraising it preflop, which I probably wouldnt with AKo at a NL table when reraising means I put at least 20% of my stack in the pot and it means that the opponent comits even more, make it a bigger reraise. If you are ready to go all-in on a flop like that, moving all-in before the flop is probably a better alternative.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:28 AM

Min raising sucks. Don't ever do it, especially preflop. That is unless you're the guy from a few posts ago where I reccomended min-raising preflop [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Seriously, it's normally not the best move. It can work effectively if you have a big pocket pair and want to get as much money as possible in there preflop, but otherwise it's normally bad.

This is something I'm trying to work on in my game: planning ahead. It's hard to do. I didn't read the other responses carefully so this may have been mentioned. If you were going to call your stack when the flop missed you as it did then you should just put that money in yourself before the flop. It's unlikely the blinds will come along if your hand is better than theirs so there is little use carrying them along. If he folds taking down the 8.5 bb there isn't so bad either considering you're on a draw at that point. Also if this guy is a maniac as his play suggests then going over the top of him will slow him down if you want to do that. I understand that thinking as I've done here is easy when a hand is posted but not so easy when you are at the virtual table.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:52 AM

I would've called or raised more preflop. But ok, min raises happen (I've order two sea breezes with breakfast too).

The flop call tells me you're an optimist. ;-) Just fold it next time when you miss. Life will be easier. It's kind of like limping early with AK in limit. When there are three callers and you miss the flop, you just fold. In NL when you miss the flop with one caller, just fold. I'm convinced AKo is a losing hand for most NL players. A tragedy really. It's just nut no pair in a game of two pair or better.
Matt
Old 05-26-2004, 04:03 AM

I agree to what allready has been posted. You should have raised more preflop. Like 16$, or put him all-in. That would have put him to the test. And if he called you, and pushed on the flop, your flopcall would have been easier, as he only would have 8$ left and the pot would be around 40$ making it an easy call.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm convinced AKo is a losing hand for most NL players.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I checked my pokertracker on how my hands were doing I was really surprised to see my AK was down money after 13,000 hands. I really need to reevaluate my AK play.