Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: stress getting to Gus Hansen?

I've just seen one site claim Gus was the 2nd caller of the AQss raise.

For sake of argument, I don't think this is bad either.

Stew: For me the fact that I don't have a nut flush draw is countered by the extra outs of having a pair, If Im up against top two (or trips) and a nut flush draw (like he was) then so be it.
I don't play like Gus, but I think the whole point of playing like he does is to catch this kind of flop in position and to semi-bluff.
I believe it raises his varience without seriously damaging his pot odds EV , and raised varience with +EV is a desireable tourney situation.

I predict it will be several (3-4) years before even the top pros get a handle on his game.

Lori
Old 05-25-2004, 11:58 PM

I'd just rather steal with a hand that IF I catch part of the flop, I'm not doing exactly what Gus did. Caught the flop and still was drawing nearly dead. That said, I think his push was good based on the tournament situation that Lori described.

It should be noted that I'm not a great tournament player, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:00 AM

I have to comment on your comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Gus's preflop steal was understandable (we all try sometimes), but when the flop comes with two relatively big cards (K and 10), chances are that the flop hit someone with either a pair, two pair, or a straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't think someone would call with a T here. And if someone did have a King-mid card such as KJ or K9 gus hansen has a pair AND a flush draw which leaves him 13 outs twice. The higher pair will have a redraw if gus hits 2 pair on the turn. The only hand Gus can be really crippled against is set. Which he isn't too far behind. about a 70:30 or against exactly what he was up against. A nightmare situation where someone flopped a higher flush draw, and his other opponent flopped a better made hand. So now he's ****ed.

Everyone's heard of Gus Hansen's reckless play, and it's very powerfull in NL tournies. IF someone where to call with QJ on that hand. Gus would be a decent sized favorite. His reckless play gives him the opportunity to accumulate loads of chips by constantly taking down small pots. It's a very good strategy, Doyle uses a similar stragety, i've heard. I'm still trying to learn to master this strategy, but it's very hard. And with all the action Online, lots of the times you must show down a hand.

Another plus to his strategy, is like you said:
[ QUOTE ]
Considering Gus's wild, reckless, and often irrational style, both of the players probably would have called Gus with even top pair

[/ QUOTE ]
Gus gets action on his made hands. IF he flopped say a set of TT's he'd be getting that action from the K's or, say he had AA this time and he'd be getting action. Rocks or just Tight/Aggressive NL tourny players will never get this kind of action. (ex. players calling preflop raises with KTo)

Ps. I don't really care if you like Gus Hansen or not.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've just seen one site claim Gus was the 2nd caller of the AQss raise.

For sake of argument, I don't think this is bad either.

Stew: For me the fact that I don't have a nut flush draw is countered by the extra outs of having a pair, If Im up against top two (or trips) and a nut flush draw (like he was) then so be it.
I don't play like Gus, but I think the whole point of playing like he does is to catch this kind of flop in position and to semi-bluff.
I believe it raises his varience without seriously damaging his pot odds EV , and raised varience with +EV is a desireable tourney situation.

I predict it will be several (3-4) years before even the top pros get a handle on his game.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that, but the point is you don't know if you're flush card outs are any good. You have 5 solid outs, the 3 eights and 2 fives, that's why drawing to a flush that isn't even close to the nut flush is a horrible play in a MULTI WAY POT. Heads up, I think this is a perfectly played hand, but not multi-way.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:06 AM

YOu may very well be right Stew. And I think Gus is still learning lots aswell. Would you imagine the amount of Poker knowledge you'd have to have, to be able to play a reckless style of NL Tourney Hold'em?
The fact that this hand is multi-way changes everything, and you have to try to put a player on a bigger flush draw.... IMO it would be a tough lay Down.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:08 AM

Default A Clarification/ Formal Apology

I'm a little upset about the things I said about Gus Hansen in my post. I've been getting a lot of flak about it, and I realized that it was mainly based on how excited/overjoyed I was about him busting out. I respect his play, and I agree with all the points that were made about the advantages of his crazy style. Your comparison to Doyle's style really made me appreciate him more, because I realized this was a lot like how Doyle used to play. However, that was a little bit different because people would buy in huge amounts into their games and that justified his crazy strategy, such as calling big raises with connectors. However, the comparison was telling. I realized that my problems aren't really with his play. I am, in fact, probabably just a bit jealous of him. So I want to retract my statements about Gus Hansen.
Regretfully Yours,
Andrew
P.S.- I don't think pros are tight-weak. I was just trying to be comical/inflammatory and I was really angry/excited at the time.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:14 AM

just remember the difference between an excellent play and a mistake...

in the excellent play, when you raise, you don't get called, in the mistake, you do....identical except for that...LOL -

learned that from watching the WPT -

RB
Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 AM

If you play affraid of a better draw everytime you have a draw then you will never amass chips. By Gus going all in he has a chance for Anderson to fold and free up thoose flush outs, which probably would of happened if Anderson had lower clubs. I don't know what the stack sizes are, but if the pot was a nice proportion of Hanson HAS to take the opportunity to win it.