Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: one thing everyone is overlooking...

sounds like one of my friends who always loses,

Did he cash in 4 WSOP events this year too?

Lori
Old 05-25-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke speaks about the fish at this years WSOP...

I felt that for an exit interview, and keep in mind folks that she had just been eliminated from the most important tournament of the year, she was composed and controlled

i agree 100% with this statement.

she went pretty deep, and was simply stating that when that deep, you do not expect to get called down with a hand that can only beat a bluff. the fact that it was HER bluff makes no difference.

she smiled, she was congenial, and i never heard anything but what i would expect from a person that had just been eliminated at a shot at 5 million dollars.

she ended the inteview with all smiles and telling how she looks forward to paris. most named pros would not have even given the interview, and many would have given it just to berate the players. she was ASKED why she was on the rail. did everyone expect a poem or an ode to the brilliant play that eliminated her?

i simply don't see this as sour grapes. i see it as normal human disappointment handled in a way that 99.9% of US would have been pulling a hellMouth.

maybe i saw a differnt interview?

Old 05-25-2004, 02:06 PM

what difference does that make? whining is whining. people dont say that phil hellmuth is a good sport because he wins a lot. being a good sport and winning generally have little to no connection.

rj
Old 05-25-2004, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are good at not getting personal.

[/ QUOTE ]

we are???

btw - this is not to say that i care one way or another if you post the refutations to any annie duke rumors. i'm way out of the loop and have no idea what those rumors are.....i just thought this was a bit of an amusing claim...although potentially done in sarcasm and i missewd it as usual.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:10 PM

she was ASKED why she was on the rail. did everyone expect a poem or an ode to the brilliant play that eliminated her?

There was a great guy to my left,
And of chips he made me bereft,
I bluffed all in on the river,
And his cards made me shiver,
When his Ace high demolished my theft.

Lori

Edit: Updated
Old 05-25-2004, 02:12 PM

being a good sport and winning generally have little to no connection.

Being a good/bad sport and being a POS are rather different things.

Lori
Old 05-25-2004, 02:12 PM

There is a big difference between saying one of your mistakes was trying to bluff someone that's unbluffable, and saying that you shouldn't have been called when you were trying to bluff, and that your opponent did something stupid.

Look at last year's WSOP coverage or the Women's Night WPT event, same smiling, condescending attitude.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:16 PM

i never said she was a POS. maybe youre sarcastically refering to me, if that is the case, sweet counterargument. i simply said that the interview was lame because she discounted any possibility that the player may not have sucked. after all, they had made it that far, they probably werent that bad. it just sounded too much like a table captain at party talking about how bad the players are and saying what they should have done. the player beat her and then she says, "any good player would not have called me", gives no credibility to the possibility of a good read from a good player.

rj
Old 05-25-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Nothing wrong with Duke

Nothing wrong with what she said or how she said it.

The negative comments about it are totally made up.

Perhaps she understated how much an average tourney pro should outperform the field this year. Not exactly a crime against humanity.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she smiled, she was congenial, and i never heard anything but what i would expect from a person that had just been eliminated at a shot at 5 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you expect that interview from her brother? Would Howard say how terrible his opponent played when he was knocked out? This isn't a standard response, it's whining from someone who lacks the same kind of graciousness that many other pros seem to have.

And the money is irrelevant, I've bought a powerball ticket before and lost, but I didn't call the guy behind the counter a moron for picking the wrong numbers. And it wasn't like she was on the verge of that much money either, she wasn't even on the bubble to get her 10k back yet.