Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 10:09 AM

Default Annie Duke speaks about the fish at this years WSOP...

Windows Media file from Gutshot...

Annie Duke
Old 05-25-2004, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke speaks about the fish at this years WSOP...

My computer won't open it...and I have the latest version of WM. Suggestions?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:14 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

[ QUOTE ]
My computer won't open it...and I have the latest version of WM. Suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to gutshot.co.uk register(it takes 2 minutes) and view the many interviews they have,

GL,
William
Old 05-25-2004, 10:58 AM

I hate listening to players try and justify their reasons for making the bad play that cost them their tournament. She can explain it 20 different ways it still comes down to the fact that she tried to put a move on a bad player. She should have known better.

Bubbagump
Old 05-25-2004, 11:05 AM

agreed....i don't feel like trying to view the interview on my dial-up....but it is reasonable to expect a pro to say 'well....i thought i was getting it in with the best of it. i took a chance and it didn't work out.'
or 'i think i made a bad play there'.
or 'i'll get 'em next year.'
or whatever.

whining about a bad player sucking out on you is poor form.

i was equally unimpressed by her little beratement on the ESPN WSOP-2003 coverage of the guy that went all-in on her.
'im folding AK here but you better not do that again or else i'm going to call you.'
i dont think this was designed to intimidate the other player...it just seemed like Hellmuth-like whining to me.

based on the general reviews of this recent Annie interview i have to say my opinion of her is not quite as high as it once was.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:07 AM

I listened to it and my first thought was hadn't the person who she tried to bluff outlasted 2000 or so entrants to get where he/she was? Perhaps that player was pretty sure A high was good.

I have called down with A high knowing it was good and perhaps so did this player.

I have no idea how the hand played out but if you had something like middle pair and were down to 28k chips you would likely check it down. Ace high very possibly meant AK which beats all bluffing hands. Depending on a preflop action the cards that made the straight might have been a bit unlikely unless AD had either pair. If she did perhaps she wouldn't have overbet the pot like that. The reason I am editing this is to write the above to explain my thought process about how perhaps the other player made a decent play.

Also, Hellmuth was annoying me a bit talking about his laydowns of the ladies. Laying down QQ and being shown 77 is nothing to be proud of in my opinion.

Regards
Old 05-25-2004, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whining about a bad player sucking out on you is poor form.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. What makes it even worse is that in this case, the other player didn't even suck out. She made a move and got caught. Judging from the last chip count I saw, she had an average stack of around 80k when this hand was played. Going all-in with no hand, 15 minutes left to play, and an average stack is a horrible move, in my presumably ignorant opinion. I still can't figure out if the call with AQ was horrible or brilliant. I hope that hand is on ESPN so we can see how it went down.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Same old story from Annie!

I like Annie Duke, and think she is a hell of a player, but I've heard her talk exactly three times, and every time she has told about "not holding any cards, nothing to work with". Maybe it's a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Its funny, in this interview she sounds like so many players at the internet tables whinning because somebody called with a worse hand on a bluff attempt. Maybe I'm not as terrible a player as I thought! At least I know not to bluff all-in with no outs against a poor player.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2004, 01:06 PM

Default wow, what a great interview...

you would think annie duke was the worlds greatest poker player from this one. saying that the person who beats you isnt good because they call you with a better hand is funny. maybe they had a read on you annie? maybe it wasnt just dumb luck that they made the right play? haha. she sounds like me whining about a bad beat, thats bad news for a "seasoned pro".

rj
Old 05-25-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: wow, what a great interview...

This is the hand that really seemed to hurt her, wonder why she didn't mention it

from Pokervoice:

Dave Scharf is here in the media room...

'I have 189,700 and I made a horrible play at Annie Duke on a drawing dead bluff....then one hour later... I defended the blind with Q 8 of spades after she made it 4,500... flop is As, Js, 8c... I check...she bets 4,000....I raise to 16,000.... she reraises me another 37,000... I go all in..she has in front of her 25,000 and the pot is 110,000.....she lays down after a long time in the tank....because I was pissed offff....all I said was go tell that to Gus too....I showed her the hand....I had a pair of eights!!!