Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Party 5/10 6 max - QQ hand - can I do any better here?

OK, overcard. AQ or AQs or worse is certainly possible.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Party 5/10 6 max - QQ hand - can I do any better here?

I needed to get to a showdown vs. these 2 opponents and I wanted to do it in the cheapest possible way, letting them do the betting.

This is the part that I disagree with. It's fine to let aggressive players do the betting for you, but this isn't the right situation for it. You're up against 2 opponents out of position. I would be very happy if I could narrow the field to just me and PFC. I think it's pretty much a guarentee that MP will bet the flop. It's certainly possible that he has a K, but I'm not convinced yet. That's why I suggested the check-raise over betting and check-calling. Suppose your hand is best and your opponents have a mix of underpairs(heh) and mid/bottom pairs. You have in the neighboorhood of 4-8 outs against you. By playing passively, you open yourself up to exactly what happened on this hand. The turn check-through was disasterous. While it gave you plenty of information, it also gave your opponents a free draw on the expensive streets.

By check-raising the flop, you force UTG to a tough decision and can gain more info on MP. To be honest, if MP 3-bets, I'd probably call and fold on the turn if he bet again, assuming I don't improve. If he's the kind of opponent that would 3-bet the flop with JJ or worse, that's a rare opponent at 5-10 SH. If he just calls your check-raise, I think your hand is good here a lot of the time, giving you an easy turn and river bet.

Cup