Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Most respected authority
Mike Caro 5 6.58%
Bob Ciaffone 8 10.53%
Roy Cooke 2 2.63%
Lee Jones 2 2.63%
Lou Krieger 2 2.63%
Mason Malmuth 7 9.21%
David Sklansky 50 65.79%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Poll: Do you rebuy immediately?

[ QUOTE ]
If you are a smart, disciplined player, you are losing EV in every dominating situation by not possessing every extra chip that is made available to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me! I'm an idiot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I understand your point and what you are saying. I just disagree with it. For me. Remember the proper frame of mind and positive outlook and not being tilted is important too. And you will take some horrendous beats in the rebuy period no matter how much you dominate. It isn't a bankroll issue at all either. I just hate the rebuy period and that fact that it more resembles bingo than poker. What I do like about rebuys though are the added chips and prizemoney. If I can get through the rebuy relatively cheaply then I am in a good frame of mind when the real tournament starts after the break. Also I feel at no real disadvantage with only a 2x entry + add on stack.

Part of the game inside the game for me is trying to build my stack in the rebuy period without rebuying. When I succeed it really puts me in a good state of mind to play after the break. If I have had to rebuy several times I'm usually pissed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I have done it both ways. Initially I always rebought immediately and then anytime I slipped below. Swayed by discussion on this very board like this discussion we are having now. But for my poker tastes and the way these things play out I feel my present strategy is much better for me. But I obviously understand that doubling up with 3000 chips is better than doubling up with 1500 chips. It's just that my mentality (wrong as it may be!) is to take as little chance as possible during the bingo session and wait until the actual game begins.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Poll: Do you rebuy immediately?

I understand the logic of taking the initial rebuy though I personally don't. With the maniacs it is easy to double your initial stack and in fact most of the time it is NOT vs someone who has already rebought. So on Pokerstars at least it's the difference between having 3000 and 4500, not having 6000. I'd rather not pay 100% more money for 50% more chips.

But this statement I totally disagree with
"if you go broke and want to play more, you take the double rebuy too"

There is always another tournament to be played. Why invest more money in a tournament where you are obviously short stacked when that same money can simply buy an entry into the next tournament where you start on equal footing ?