Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2004, 07:19 AM

Default Correct Lay Down???

Alright, I was in a relatively small 5 table 8-handed tournament yesterday in which I was very happy with my play. Upon mentally reviewing my hands I have come up with one where I am not certain I made the right play or not.

Action is pre-flop and I am on the button. Blinds are T50 and T75. Average stack is about T1000 and I have ~T1400. The first player to act is short stacked and goes all in for T350. Two people who are relatively agressive call before the action gets to me, and I look down at pocket 9s. I am relatively certain that I have the all-in guy beat, and if it were me versus him I surely would have called, however with the two extra players I didn't think there was any chance my 9's would hold up without flopping a set, and it was relatively early in the tournament so there wasn't any benefit in gambling to knock someone out and move up. Was this the correct play on my part?

For those curious the results are in white below:

<font color="white"> I would have flopped a set which would have taken the pot, and I did have the all-in guy beat either way, but if it weren't for the set I would have lost to one of the callers.</font>

-Yarney
Old 05-23-2004, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Correct Lay Down???

Good decision as you're facing possibly 3 overcards. Don't let the results cloud your judgment.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Correct Lay Down???

Agreed. The more I think about the hand the more correct I feel the lay-down was.

-Yarney