Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2004, 12:04 PM

Default First Time Poster! Some feedback please.

Hello everyone. I really enjoy the site and figured it was time to join in. Last night I was in a $100 freeze out house tourney, 30 guys. Money was:
1st $1500
2nd $700
3rd $400
4th $300
5th $100

OK we are down to 8 peolpe I am 5th in chips(6500K) with 400-800 blinds no antes. Have only played one hand in the first hour of the final table and have a very tight image (actually the favorite to win the tourney before it started). Chip leader has about 15K, bottom 2 short stacks at 3K, 2nd chip leader about 12K the rest (3-6) between 5-7K.

UTG+1 opens with a min raise of 1600. Now the raiser is currently in 2nd with about 12K, I have a good read on him at this point. He like to open for min raises trying to pick up the pot on this tight table. I have seen him min raise with as little as K5s. therefore I put him on two high cards possibably AXs. the next guy folds and I look down at 88. Well, this is the best hand I have seen in an hour. Although there are two short stack I am not looking to finish 5th, I want 1st. Again, I put him on two high cards at best. SO if I push all-in I can win the pot right there with my tight image and at worst be a small fav if he calls. SO I push all-in for a 4900 raise. It is folded back to him. He thinks for a minute, counts his chips and calls. He flips over KQo. Ok coin flip:
Flop come 729 rainbow (not sure how to post hands)
Turn J
River yea it's a 10 and I get busted out to a runner runner str8.

I guess he had a lot of outs on the river. Did I make the right play? Would you even consider folding here? Calling is out of the question for 30% of my stack but with that flop I would have preceded to go all-in and I could not image him calling $4,900 with just two overcards and backdoor gutshot str8 draw.

The place went crazy when the heavy favorite got busted. I hate getting knocked out of tourneys. It's like a bad hang over afterwards. The problem is when u play against so many rookies the only timne you lose is when they make a mariginal call and end up catching up. I find this tough to deal with. My feeling is when you know you are ahead in a hand you must put your oppenent to the test and hope for the best.

Anyway sorry for my first rambling post. Looking forward to any feedback on this hand as well as my general feeling towards tourney stratedgy when not on the bubble.

Ty
Old 05-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: First Time Poster! Some feedback please.

Hi and welcome to the board.

Not a bad play at all. You were aggressive with the best hand and got called by a worse hand...not much you can really complain about there.

The only thing you didn't mention was how loose was this guy when calling raises. You said that he would raise with marginal hands, but the real question is would he lay down those marginal hands if re raised? Obviously, he had pretty loose standards, and he made a very poor call. If you had seen him make some poor calls before, then perhaps you might have reconsidered your move here.

Remember the gap concept only works if you opponents recognize it in some way as well.

Overall, however, you played it fine imo and just got an unlucky break.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:24 PM

Default Re: First Time Poster! Some feedback please.

would this have been an appropriate place for a stop and go? I'm very new at this too, so just curious.