Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM

Default some AK hands....

first, i think AK is overrated. second, i used to be deadly with em. now i just don't know; sometimes i play fast and hard, get no action, play it slowly, and get slammed or play fast and scoop, or play slowly and scoop. it's about winning with nutnopair at the critical moments.

first hand of a 50+5 multi, i get AK, EP. i make a "screening" raise, to 45, someone goes over the top all in. WTF. what do you do.

Just after busting two players with 88, i get AK UTG. blinds are 100-200, i have about 12,000(big stack at table), and raise it up to 950. someone raises to 2000, and has 4K left. what do you do? stop and go, perhaps? or all in?

I'm in the BB with AK s00000ted. i'm mid-short stack with about 18,000. we're about 10 away from the money, blinds are 400-800 with small ante. UTG gorilla makes it about 3500 to go, mid stack with 12,000 goes all in. now what....
Old 05-19-2004, 04:11 PM

Default Re: some AK hands....

[ QUOTE ]
first hand of a 50+5 multi, i get AK, EP. i make a "screening" raise, to 45, someone goes over the top all in. WTF. what do you do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy fold. Way to early to lose to a pair of 2's.
[ QUOTE ]
Just after busting two players with 88, i get AK UTG. blinds are 100-200, i have about 12,000(big stack at table), and raise it up to 950. someone raises to 2000, and has 4K left. what do you do? stop and go, perhaps? or all in?

[/ QUOTE ]
Push all in. You are probably against another AK or mid pp. AK is best all in preflop, since you don't have to make that decision about wether to continue when you miss the flop.
[ QUOTE ]

I'm in the BB with AK s00000ted. i'm mid-short stack with about 18,000. we're about 10 away from the money, blinds are 400-800 with small ante. UTG gorilla makes it about 3500 to go, mid stack with 12,000 goes all in. now what....

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate AK in this situation. I seem to bust out of more tournaments this way. I have to admit, I'm folding here. I'm a wimp.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:00 PM

First hand when you're early in tourney is very dependent on how you approach tourneys. There's a lot of players in low buyin tourneys that want to double up early or bust out quickly. Then it's an easy call. Others are very reluctant about getting into coin flips this early and it's an easy fold. Depending on my mood I call or fold, I've done both in these situations. But usually I'll let him have it.

Second hand, I think this is an easy all-in.

Third, ugh. Difficult situation. Is UTG just being a bully? Think you can move in and get him out? OTOH, you're close to the money and perhaps don't want to risk busting so close. I probably reluctently fold here and try to find a better spot. Too many times I've called here to be shown a pair and the other guy having some of my outs. But it wouldn't be an easy fold since winning the hand could let you ride to the final table.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:59 PM

1st hand is an easy fold to me. as sklansky says in TPFAP, the benefit of doubling up early is outweighed the risk of going broke.

2nd hand
it almost seems like he wants u to call by pricing you in. this is a common play w/ AA and maybe KK or QQ if ure short stacked, but it could also be a more desperate move w/ 99-AQ, AJs. u cant possibly fold since ure gettin awesome odds w/ AK. i say u push.

3rd hand. i never wanna call off my money in that situation. the early pos guy could have a real hand also and the late pos guy definately has a real hand. ure most likely up vs a pair in one of those 2 hands so ure calling for a 9-11 shot. id prefer not to call my chips off w/ a 9-11 shot
Old 05-19-2004, 06:35 PM

wow i'm surprised at how many people said nobrainer-allin for the second hand....he's got 1/2 the size of my stack, (blinds are still low for a 6K stack though)...i'd much rather see a flop first and catch before going for the extra 4K....I called. flop came KJJ, i bet all in he calls with KQ. y'all are geniuses!

first hand with the AK i folded, never knew what he had.

third hand i folded;didn't take too much time for me to fold here, as we're bubble-bound, and they both had pairs, 88 vs gorilla's JJ. i would have won, but too tough to call here.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 AM

Before scrolling all the way through the thread, I was gonna respond with pretty much the same answers as the others.

y'all are geniuses!

Because of the aforementioned, I'm gonna steal some of their thunder, and say "thank you!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Husker