Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Should I Quit My Day Job?

As long as you need to ask the question, no.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:12 AM

Thanks again folks incl. Bruce, Paul and Slackfu.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:39 AM

I'm answering this one blind from the title only.

NO.

Okay, let me go read the post now...

EDIT: Looks like you've been answered pretty well.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the following escaped you:

"I am not really considering quitting my day job but these poker-for-a-living threads get hits and I am looking for some answers."

"Sorry if these are redundant as I have done some searching and come up empty on a few of these"

?????

Or perhaps crusty is your nature.

Thanks for providing nothing to this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

1800 provided far more than nothing. 1800 is right. Tough love can be hard to appreciate sometimes.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you should switch to playing for a living untill you know the answers to your other questions. All the answers to those questions are around this forum and get asked regulary, shows you have a lot of learning to do yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you were new, you wanted people to help you.

Maybe this guy just found this forum. And maybe he has a life and he doesn't sit on these forums 12 hours a day.

You are cranky and mean-spirited. And you are also a poor player who tilts easily.

Did your father drop you on your head?

Old 05-20-2004, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're big wins will seem to come in waves (as will your losses).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed this alot. Why is this? It would seem to be mathematically coincidental, but it seems to happen alot to think otherwise. Or maybe my brain is just choosing to remember the "waves" over isolated pot wins? Any further opinions?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:10 AM

I just answered your title question. If you are asking these questions you probably don't have 30k hands yet. I'd want a 99% confidence level that you are earning more playing poker than in your job.

All the more helpful polite people above me should make you realise how much learning you have to do yet.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just answered your title question. If you are asking these questions you probably don't have 30k hands yet. I'd want a 99% confidence level that you are earning more playing poker than in your job.

All the more helpful polite people above me should make you realise how much learning you have to do yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without trying to sound like an ungrateful jerk, I made very clear in the first sentence of my post that the Title was a spoof, a device employed in order to get the thread viewed and hopefully my real questions answered. Which they were and I thank all the wise and generous folks here for that.

Most respondents realized this except for you and a few dimwits who saw an opportunity to slag what you hastily considered yet another pro poker wannabe; likely because that's a goal you have found unachievable yourself.

The fact that you continue to lecture on "learning" when that is exactly the goal here, and in fact has ocurred thanks to bruce, moozh, paul, and others, is further evidence that you are relatively clueless regarding this thread.

Thanks and good day.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Without trying to sound like an ungrateful jerk, I made very clear in the first sentence of my post that the Title was a spoof, a device employed in order to get the thread viewed and hopefully my real questions answered. Which they were and I thank all the wise and generous folks here for that.

[/ QUOTE ]
To be completely fair, I think you deserve all the 'misguided' replies you're getting and you had to expect this. That's what you get when you essentially scam people into your thread. You were dishonest with the thread title, so you're going to get some replies that are less than to your liking. You've seen the benefits of a misleading title (traffic), but you also have to pay the consequences for it (people answering the title). Stop complaining, be happy for the responses to your real questions (I know you are), and ignore the 'bad' ones.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're not quite getting it on the unseen cards thing....you cant discount the cards that you haven't seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree it's important to push this idea into new players so they begin thinking correctly about the probabilities involved, this isn't strictly true.

If the flop comes up A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and there's a ton of action from several players on the flop, you can make an educated guess as to what portion of the aces/kings/dimonds are in the unseen held area, versus what portion of them are in the unseen in-the-deck area. I don't know what the popular terminology is for players holding each other's outs or sharing the same outs, but it is an idea I've seen mentioned.