Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 01:12 PM

Default Re: 2/4 at Party

As others have said, try posting some hands here. Party 2/4 is very very beatable.

As for keys to success, for me it is good table selection. There are plenty of people just asking to give their money away. The key is to find them. There are also a lot of very good players at 2/4. Most of them are regulars and can be identified pretty easily.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:23 PM

Hi daiwiza,

I've been meaning to post 100 low limit hands for a while now, your post has motivated me to do it. 2/4 is certainly beatable, and I'll post the next 100 hands I play to show you how. Go to "Bite the dust" and "Table 12997" at party right now to watch these hands. I'll post when I'm done.

-Eric
Old 05-18-2004, 01:39 PM

I would guess that most of the regular Small Stakes posters are currently beating, or have beaten (before they moved up), the $2/4 game at Party. I would add that I think table selection may be a little more important in the past few months than it had been in the past as you can run into fairly tight tables there now.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:07 PM

Yes, I would say table selection and most importantly reads and adjustments have become much more important in the last two months or so. It seems like things have really tightened up a good bit, there's a lot less open limping, and a lot more three betting. It used to be that there were 4 maybe 5 really horrible players per table, now its one or two, tops. Deception is become a little more important, rather than just laying on the gas with top pair good kicker. The masses who used to stay in hands to catch their runner-runners are no longer there.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:24 PM

Done. I'll post this as a main topic in just a minute.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:26 PM

For the successful players at 2/4, are your profits coming from:
- Creative bluffing and brave stabs at pots noone seems to want?

In my case, no. I'd consider 2/4 about the same as .5/1 in regards to that. Not exactly, but imo it's not that different.

- Superior hand reading with finely tuned lay downs?
No. You should be able to make AT LEAST 2BB/100 at 2/4 without stuff like that.

- Superior player reads?
Not necessary to be able to make decent money at 2/4. Which I'm a living proof of. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Hyper-aggression that pushes people off their hands?
Aggressiveness is nice, but you won't be able to push people off their hands that often, so no.

- Traps and deception?
They stand for a bit more money per hour, no idea how much. They are just regular strategic plays to be used when the time is right.

I play fairly straightforward and rarely bluff (adding some deception to keep people in), but find that to be a breakeven game. (VP$IP 17%, Raise 7.5%, W$WSF 26.5%, W$SD 56%, down .22 in the BB, down .20 in the SB???)
Those stats look ok to me. You might have a bad run (although breaking even is not bad in that sense, at least not imo). You might have leaks in your game. You might, hmmm... something. Most likely it's a combination of things. Post some hands and some of the better posters are likely to help you out.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:40 PM

That's a good idea! Thank you all so far for your support.

I think, maybe I'm simply still playing too many hands.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Do you think in comparison to 0,5/1 were I did quite well for some time at 2/4 you have to rather tighten up or to get more loose?!