Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 10:17 PM

Default TT with a short stack

Binion's 10-25 NL. Eight handed feeder game. Passive play, lot of calling, some medium spots, no loose cannons. Soft. Lots of 4-5 way pots preflop.

UTG makes it $100 to go. He raises with a ton of hands. Buster folds. I'm next with TT and a little nubbin stack($625). I make the unorthodox move of calling.

Surprisingly, all fold. Two-handed, we take a flop of J75 twotone. UTG bets $200. I go all in.

Matt
Old 05-18-2004, 01:42 AM

Default Re: TT with a short stack

i REALLY dont like your call pre flop. the fun thing about a small stack against loose raisers is they will call a 3x raise pre flop with no odds whatsoever cause its an autocall for them. post flop your goig all-in, good luck. id rater put 300 into a 600 pot than vice versa, your opponents are going tom make alot more mistakes.

are you sure this game was soft? loose/agg pre flop tight/agg post flop is usually the sign of some tough hombres (if they were using position well)
Old 05-18-2004, 07:34 AM

If his range is so big that it includes A8 66, i'd push preflop. If it's smaller i'd call and push on most flops.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:23 PM

Abe,

Pretty weird play huh? It was one of those situational events. I expected a 4-5 handed pot with 2-3 opponents putting money in on the flop, enough to draw to trips and perhaps triple up. Well everyone folded so so much for that bright idea. Then UTG bet into the flop, which he'd do with anything, so once there it was a no-brainer push. I lost but would've lost anyway. Oh well, just thought I'd post an oddball hand.

Matt
Old 05-18-2004, 02:57 PM

Default What are you doing with that stack?

Why didn't you rebuy? C'mon...

Here's a follow-up question for you. Similar game, 5-10 blinds, JJ UTG, you make it $30 to go. Folds to button, who makes it $130 straight. Is the correct response to this the same 100% of the time, if your stack sits at about $600 or so here?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:10 PM

are you experimenting with short stacks and capital letters?

odd hand indeed, but once you decide to call it seems like you have to push. you should have called, then bet the rest of your money on the color of the flop. saves time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--turnipmonster
Old 05-18-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Re: What are you doing with that stack?

Turtling. I was playing short-stacked because of the continued beating, starting with breaking even after 8 hours in the wildest $10-25 NL I've ever played in. I had to bust some guy who came from the blackjack game heads up to make any money. Then opponent outs of 8, 4, 9, 2, 21, 8 for $9600. But I made four great stack-saving folds before putting any serious money in, all correct, three times with top two, twice with uncoordinated boards. That rocked.

Matt