Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: $60k in 60 Days -- Days 4 & 5

[ QUOTE ]
Taking a crap job 10 hours a week wont fix the problem. Moving out will and it is cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your mom is paying for your college tuiton, or even part of it, as well as giving you food as housing, then i dont think moving out just to be able to play poker a little more is going to be a +EV play [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 01:29 PM

Default trying to convince my wife

I have a similar situation with my wife. We have been happily married for about 2 years. We have a wonderful life and couldn't ask for anything more in eachother. We rarely fight about anything serious, but the one thing that gets us into a heated debate once in a while is poker.

Thankfully, online poker helps our finances, so I do have a strong argument for doing this. But for her, like Mike's mom, it's more of a moral issue. She thinks it's bad to trick other people out of their money and that online poker promotes unhealthy behaviors, such as laziness, greed, etc. I really can't say she wrong on this, but for someone who thinks more quantitatively like I do, the opportunity is too good to pass up. Also, my wife was raised in a very religious family so I can understand why she has tough time with this.

Whenever we have a debate about poker, it always gets down to the question of, "is poker gambling?" I know there have been much discussion on this, but basically, I believe poker has enough skill elements to it that you can't really consider it gambling, as in tossing the dice.

Anyway, the debate never ends and it always sounds the same with me trying to convince her it's just as legit as stock trading, and her trying to tell me there are more noble endeavors in life than making money playing poker. I can't really argue against her on that point, but then she can't really argue against having the extra income either.

To be honest, I've been doing this only for about 10 months now, and things only started to click about 3 months ago, so she still isn't fully convinced that I can consistently withdraw every month. As with many players, I paid my fair share of tuition to get here, so my initial losses are still fresh in her mind. In fact, although I know I definitely have evolved into a better player than when I started, I have my doubts that, maybe, I'm just on a real good run for the past 3 months.

However, I am encouraged by many success stories here and also by the fact that I have been able to maintain a solid win rate at 1/2 and 2/4 in the past 3 months. I am cautiously optimistic that this will continue and the debate between my wife and I will start to be more about how we will use the extra money and less about how I'm earning it.

Despite her moral issues with poker, she has started to watch me play and even cheer for me. I think the turning point was when she saw me win (incredibly) a NL MTT about 2 weeks ago. She used ask me to limit my playing time during the hours when she's not home so that she doesn't have to watch me hunched over in front of the computer. But now, I have at least been freed from the time restriction.

I will continue to follow Mike's effort with interest. Hopefully this will be another testimony for her on how others are suceeding at poker and that it's not a bad thing.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:36 PM

I would suggest including a link to the previous journal in the current one. I think this will be a good way for a reader to follow your story if they are getting into it in the middle of it.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:36 PM

if she's paying the tuition and its an in state school i think its probably +ev to move out. out of state it might be closer.

why not move out though? i probably would if i was you. it doesn't cost that much to live on your own. and i doubt jessica simpson (god knows why you want her) would be impressed if you took her back home to your mom's house.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Schneids....

hmmm...might seem a little to much like a drug deal going down. Could give the wrong impression.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: trying to convince my wife

i think you messed up when you told her you weren't playing for play money. now you have to listen to her bitch and share the loot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: trying to convince my wife

I think she caught on to the fact that it wasn't for play money when she saw the bank statement... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Schneids....

Just make sure you hide the coca under the money. And keep the gun hidden but close. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 02:42 PM

"I'll transfer you the money if you go tell your mom you think you like guys."

LOL

Ahhh, there's nothing like your buddies. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2004, 07:06 PM

I am in the similiar situation this year too. For the past two years I have worked on my cousin's blacktopping crew and this year I don't want to do it. I would rather play poker and be able to enjoy my last summer before I graduate. I really hate the work and I really hate the long hours, but I have always needed to work for the money and now I am really losing money by working. I am trying to find an easy way out of it, but I don't want to screw my cousin over. If I played as a job, my mother would think that I had a gambling problem and get worried over it, but my dad would be cool with it. I would also have tried to get a part time job with as little responsibility as possible, but for tax purposes mostly. Anyways good luck with everything and keep the updates coming.