Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 12:51 AM

Default big final hand in Party 1/4 mil

I observed todays' Party 1/4 million from 4 tables to the end. The big leader at 10 players remaining blew it in two hands to take 7th, and the player who finished him/her off looked unstopable, at one point winning 9 of 11 3-player hands, and having a clear majority of chips. That player was Denca, who lost the lead before this final hand:

Prizes:

1st: $57,160
2nd: $30,581
3rd: $22,864

Seat 2: thehatter (404480)
Seat 4: redsoxr1 (660256) SB 15000
Seat 9: Denca (364264) BB 30000

thehatter raises all-in
redsoxr1 raises all-in
Denca calls all-in

Board:[ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]

thehatter[ K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]straight, 9-K 2nd
redsoxr1 [ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]straight, t-A 1st
Denca [ A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]2pr, AA/JJ 3rd

Alright, I have two questions. First, could this possibly be a situation where AA should be folded? Second, does anyone disagree with my position that K9o MUST be folded by thehatter here? I say that because the hands that most all of the hands that call you beat you badly.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:22 AM

Default Re: big final hand in Party 1/4 mil

I don't think that this a place where folding AA is correct. I think that folding AA is correct in this spot only if Denca's stack is so small that there is little chance of taking top prize even if the hand is won. In this case, winning this hand puts Denca in a good spot to win the tourney.

I won't comment on the K9 move since the goodness/badness of the move depends on the read K9 had of the initial player. I probably would not go to war with K9 and player behind still to act, but I would have to be in the situation with the specific players to know.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:46 AM

Yeah, you definitely can't fold AA here. Your +EV here is substantial, as the gap between 1st and 2nd place prize money (26.5K) is far greater than that between 2nd and 3rd (8K).

As regards K9o... I think that all-in is not the best move here, but a raise (to, say, 90K) is appropriate. Then when the SB comes over the top of you and the BB goes all-in, folding becomes a pretty easy decision.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you definitely can't fold AA here. Your +EV here is substantial, as the gap between 1st and 2nd place prize money (26.5K) is far greater than that between 2nd and 3rd (8K).

As regards K9o... I think that all-in is not the best move here, but a raise (to, say, 90K) is appropriate. Then when the SB comes over the top of you and the BB goes all-in, folding becomes a pretty easy decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to quote an entire post just to say ditto, but I completely agree on both counts.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:26 PM

I don't see a problem with any of the plays here.

K9o 3 handed is a damn good hand. I'd consider trying to steal the blinds all-in with this as well.

AKs - If K9o is a good hand 3-handed, AKs, is a GREAT hand. Gotta go all in with it.

AA is THE hand... how can you not go all in with it 3 handed? To be perfectly honest, I would have SERIOUSLY considered folding. But in the end, I would have called all in as well.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:33 PM

I agree with the steal attempt with K9, but 90K to 120K would have been fine, no need to push all-in. Just make the same raise when you have a real hand as well.