Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Mid pairs -- swimming with the fishies

I've been experimenting a bit with shorthanded play lately, spending most of my time down at the super fishy 1/2 6max tables while I learn the ropes. I'm having some trouble figuring out the best way to play the middle pocket pairs.

Most of my opponents are classic loose calling stations: preflop playing any pair, any two suited and any hand with an ace or picture. Post-flop they call down with almost any pair or draw, rarely raise but will often bet if checked to.

Since the mid-pocket pairs are pretty strong hands compared what my opponents are playing, often having the Ax and Qxs type hands dominated, it seems they should be pretty profitable hands but I'm finding myself in a lot of difficult situations post-flop because of the schooling effect.

Here's an example:

Hero dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG+1
UTG folds, hero raises, cutoff calls, button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

4 players see the flop of A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG checks, hero bets, cutoff calls, button calls, UTG folds

3 players see the turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
hero bets???, cutoff calls, button folds.

2 players see the river K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])
hero checks, cutoff bets, hero folds??

cutoff flashes K7o for 2-pair. Anybody check-fold the turn? check-call? bet and fold to a raise on river?

The difficulty is that I think my opponent would've played a weak A, 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s, 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s, Q7, 88, TT or 86 the same way. So I might've been behind the whole time, I also might've have folded a winner for 1 BB.

What's the general strategy for this type of hand, that is mid-pocket pair, one overcard on board, one or two calling stations behind you?
Old 05-15-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Mid pairs -- swimming with the fishies

I just started the 1/2 6 myself a few weeks ago, have been running good but don't yet know if it's mostly luck, so take this with a grain of salt.

I would have played this the same up to the river. I think you have a coin flip at this point, getting about 8-1, it probably doesn't matter, or at least I can't tell, whether you call or fold. Two overcards, flush, straight - and they often won't bet top pair(A) against a pf agressor until he checks on the river.

I sometimes have enough of a read to fold this, but if I'm in doubt, I will call, if for no other reason, since it's about 50/50 anyway, to see what he has. I wouldn't sweat how you played the river. I think the play was correct up to that point, and as you can see from his hand, he will be contributing to the kitty for some time to come.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Mid pairs -- swimming with the fishies

You played this hand fine. You made what turned out to be a good fold on the River, I think I would have gone check/call. Bet and fold to a raise was probably OK, but I figure you check as you want to see the showdown. I think it is unlikely you get raised on the River with 3-suits, except against the flush. Player dependent - some just clam up when 3-suits arrive, others only play what they have regardless of the board and a few take any opportunity to bluff their bottom pair.

Your opponent got lucky. You played your 99 well, took a chance there was no A and were a bit unlucky to get Rivered with only 1 player left. Your opponent pays you off with any part of the flop, and he was extra-dumb to show his cards. Be happy.

1 overcard on the flop is not usually enough to stop me betting my PP, with the possible exception of an A. I think I bet out on this flop too from your position, and bet the Turn again expecting a raise from any other A (though not always, as they fear you have a better A). By the River, with only 1 guy left and not really worried about the backdoor flush, I feel I have a good chance to win this hand, but not really wanting to put in 2 bets with the board as it is, I check/call. I definitely call his bet, as it looks like you could have a busted flush and will be bet into or bluffed (by busted draws) enough times to easily justify the call here. I expect to see a crappy A rather than 2-pair, most of the time.

I think with one overcard, keep betting until you are told to stop, with one proviso - be careful when that single overcard is an A.