Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2004, 09:34 AM

Default Re: mirage 10-20 against a tricky coffee-houser...

More of a chess term than a poker one. It doesn't fit very well but i know what he meant.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
on what street is the call awful? i'm getting 9-1 on the flop to peel one off with likely 6 pair outs as well as backdoor nut flush and straight draws...closing the action as well. on the turn i pick up the nut flush draw to go with said pair outs headsup and the pot is laying me 6-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the case you quoted and you're against this tricky guy you should RAISE the flop because he may check and give you a free card so you don't have to take 6:1, you'll get infinite odds on the check. further, it may reduce his trickiness later on in the hand. even against these people you need to establish control with your position.
-Barron
Old 05-14-2004, 09:39 AM

its stuff like this that makes me wonder if i should read ALL of the replies in a thread before responding or just do as i do now and respond whenever i see something i'd like to respond to even though i haven't checked what others have said (unless of course its the first post i'm responding to and want to respond without reading the other opinions)...

in any case, well said schmed.
-Barron
Old 05-14-2004, 09:45 AM

by my defintion, a tricky coffee housing opponent has a great tendency to act just the opposite of how he really feels. thus he may try to look nervous with a strong hand, or if he exudes confidence he has nothing...and on the whole, this type of opponent in not that difficult to play against...

however my opponent in this case in my estimation was a real player who likely played on a much higher level of thinking than me. he was a local who usually played 20-40, was constantly yakking it up about his holding, your holding, this hand that hand, this out this doubt, you get the picture? i felt i was out of my league a tad and really wanted to stay out of his way...

but when the board double paired on the river and he had bet so fast i had to look him up.