Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 07:10 PM

Default My game sucks right now

I'm having a run right now where I'm getting some cold cards, but mostly I'm just playing terribly. Loose calls, stupid raises, calling down when a rock hits me on the turn, etc. Should I just take a couple days off and clear my poker head?
Old 05-12-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Re: My game sucks right now

[ QUOTE ]
I'm having a run right now where I'm getting some cold cards, but mostly I'm just playing terribly. Loose calls, stupid raises, calling down when a rock hits me on the turn, etc. Should I just take a couple days off and clear my poker head?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad idea. Maybe take one complete day off from poker, but use the other day or two to re-read some of your poker books.

Clear your mind and the next time you walk into a poker room or fire up a computer, just remind yourself to play disciplined. You've been here long enough to know how to play, now it's time to put it into action.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:14 PM

Everybody has slumps. You are showing intelligence by realizing that you're playing badly instead of just blaming bad luck. I think you should take a few days off. Don't even think about poker. Then spend some time analyzing your game and the reasons for your bad play, preferably with help from someone you respect as a player and person. Then come back and kick ass.
Regards,
Al
Old 05-12-2004, 10:29 PM

Here's one I've tried. The next time you sit down to play bring a walk-man and turn rock I mean real tight. I know this sounds like more poor play just on the other side of the spectrum, but it will stop your loose/passive calls in the blink of an eye, and then notice your table image an hour or two later. You may now return to normal mode (notice the extra effect of your new tight image on your semi-bluff sucess).
Old 05-12-2004, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the response, jedi. I think I'll probably take tomorrow off and review some concepts this weekend. Hopefully I'll be good to go for next week.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the response, Al. I'll definitely be taking some time this weekend to review some hands and poker books (including yours [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

[ QUOTE ]
Then come back and kick ass

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, sir!
Old 05-12-2004, 11:17 PM

I appreciate the response, wrong, I'll definitely consider that. I was thinking about buying an iPod anyway, and now you've given me an exucse to (you bastard [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).
Old 05-13-2004, 03:17 AM

I might be way off, but I'm guessing if you're the poker player I think you think you are that "sorry play" might be some kind of reverse excuse to cover the absolute hate for the true variance of the game.

the last 10 weeks have pretty much all sucked for me, but the last 20 days I'm down 150BB's and 40 sng buyins. I wanted to blame bad play(that could be easily fixed) after really looking over HH's and my "bust out" log it looks a lot more like my play has remained the same, and mother luck has been kicking me in the stones.

btw- that 20 days really covers 25. 5 days off in a 25 day span is around 3-5 more than I would usually take off. It did ME no good, sh!t your pants and dive back in.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:27 AM

Default I\'ve got the same problem

Ive got the same problem down a ton of BBs, and while i havent had the best run of cards ultimately I have to admit its due to bad play

Ive taken some time off and I'm about to get back into it right now

I play on my lapton and have made up some post its, which ive stuck all around the monitor

They say:

Play TIGHT

Here and NOW (stop me bitching to myself about bad beats)

Looks like a monster

He will pay you (another bad beat one, i play LL can u tell [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Dont give it back

I am the greatest poker player in the world, the poker gods TREMBLE im my presence

I hope they work (i might take down the last one - lest i anger the gods)

Gahnia radula
Old 05-13-2004, 11:51 PM

Hopefully my post can give you some inspiration to take a well needed break of more than a day or so. The rest I took really refreshed my game.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...fpart=1#681145