Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Pot-limit/No-limit Tournaments

I've played in a handful of pot-limits tourneys lately. I haven't had a real good result yet which got me to thinking about the differences between them and no-limit. I racked my brain and can't think of any real strategy adjustments that obviously should be made. So I am left with the feeling that the poor results in relation to my no-limit play is a matter of coincidence. Especially online, with the small stack sizes,it pretty much plays like no-limit after a a couple of bets.

Am I missing something? Are there any key strategy changes that need to be made?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Pot-limit/No-limit Tournaments

I've had good results at both... For some reason I enjoy PL more because people can't just "push-in" pre-flop..

However, when you are short stacked PL is dumb because you'll make a big pre-flop raise and have just a handful of chips left if someone calls to see a flop.... Like you're not pot-committed...

I think some of the differences go like this:
You need to be very conscious of how much you raise pre-flop.
This will determine the pot-size when it comes to the flop.
Remember PL you can't "over-bet" the pot to really drive someone out.. so if you anticipate the need to bombard the pot with a good bluff (read, unimproved AK or AQ) then that might influence your raise amount pre-flop...

I'd say that's my one big adjustment, anticipating the pot-size on the flop so I can make a reasonable bet.

In PL i'm much more LESS likely to slowplay a big pair (or any good raising hand) because if people just limp in, I won't have much leverage on the flop to drive out any draws or things like middle pair.

But that's just me.. I've only played maybe 20 PL tournies and 20 NL..
Old 05-13-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Pot-limit/No-limit Tournaments

In pot limit you have to know how to control the size of the pot to your advantage.