Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Kings with Ace on Flop

Should I have backed down at any time? Party 2/4. Thanks.Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

River: (11.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 14.25 BB, between BB, Hero and MP3.</font>
Old 05-12-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Kings with Ace on Flop

98% you're beat, but I am not sure how to play this differently..

I think checking the turn is weak, although mp3 might check it through..

checking on the river allows mp3 to bet with anything, and makes it confusing whether you should call..

Yeah, I think you played it fine, although I would fold to any raises or check raises on the turn or river..
Old 05-12-2004, 11:00 AM

Yeah, I had planned on folding to a raise. I'm trying to work on my weak-tightness; was worried about the ace, but no one pushed back, so I kept betting.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:11 AM

I'd rather call this down instead of betting out. One of these guys -- probably BB -- has a weak A and is scared to bet it, but can't bring himself to lay down a pair of Aces.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:17 AM

I wondered about that. But if they don't raise, it cost the same either way, and if they raise the turn I can fold. Is that a reasonable way to look at it?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:19 AM

I think it is closer to 100% chance you are beat. I think your preflop and flop raises were perfect. What you are hoping for here is to determine if any one has an Ace for sure. Because you got called in 2 places you gotta figure at least one of them has an ace and they are probably not showing aggression b/c they fear you have AK or AQ. Betting turn is probably still ok, but if you get raised then you gotta fold. If you get called on turn bet in two place, you ought to check river b/c you are behind... and you will not get anyone to lay down hand. After I check River, I would fold to a bet and a caller for sure.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:38 PM

on the flop you have 4 opponents, a couple who cold called your raise and a BB betting into the crowd. unless you know the BB to be a bit goofy i think its a fold right there. after you raise you get a cold caller and 3 of you see the turn. i would probably check and likely fold to a bet and a call.

on the flop you have an underpair in a multiway pot with someone else betting at it on a pretty draw free board. this is your chance to get away cheaply from a very likely losing hand.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:30 PM

What do you know about BB? Against most opponents, I would fold immediately to the flop bet. With a flop of AQ3r, there are no draws on board, so it's extremely likely your opponent is betting an Ace. Given that you raised the flop, I would have slowed down at some point and maybe even just check-folded the turn if I knew MP3 to be a reasonable player. If I made it to the river, I definitely would have checked.

-- Homer
Old 05-12-2004, 03:06 PM

Thanks for all the responses. BB had Q7, MP3 had A3.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB had Q7, MP3 had A3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy passive, batman. BB should be thanking MP3 for saving him some bets.