Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Paradise 5/10 hand

Paradise 5/10 5-handed table. Recently sat down, so no opinions on the competition yet.

I am in CO and dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG limps, I limp, Button limps, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB bets out, UTG raises, I three-bet, Button caps. SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, I call. This part seems pretty standard for me. Nut straight, SF draw and 2nd nut flush draw.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG checks, I check, Button checks. This is where I get confused. With all the action on the flop, I figure someone for a set or a made flush. Anyone bet here?

River. 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I call, Button calls. This is an auto-call, right? I am getting 10-1, and will at least split this pot enough to make calling worthwhile.

Aside from the very dubious play of limping with that hand, would anyone have played this differently?

I do not know how to hide the results, so I will post later.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Paradise 5/10 hand

You almost have to be beat on that hand. UTG has a made flush, playing some small suited connector, was prob going for a check raise on the turn and missed or maybe just a check/call afraid of a higher flush, so he comes out firing on the river seeing that 10 offsuit hit giving him the winning flush and at least one prob caller with a straight. fold and take your medicine for playing K-10o from that position.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:44 PM

I think you are often good for a split.

Button would have bet the turn with a flush. I suspect he has offsuit A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for his cap. That raises a question about UTG+1: if he has two clubs, what are they? Most of the good ones are tied up. Beside he might have bet the turn with a flush.

UTG+1 should have a good clue from the turn that no one else has a flush and the LP limps tend to rule out AK behind him. I think the door is open for him to value bet a king and you cannot assume he has not done so. There is a flush risk and there is also a very real boat risk, but I think you need to pay him off and hope for the best.

Part of me wants to bet the turn instead of risking a free card. The (crazy?) idea is that you can fold to a raise because you probably have 0-1 outs. The raiser probably has a flush and the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is overwhelmingly likely to be part of the flush or in possession of the third player. The T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is only an out if no one has it but again they often will.

I'd like to hear opinions on this idea.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:27 PM

Unfortunately for me, UTG flipped over Q9o for a turned full house.

The interesting (and by that, I mean stupid) part of the hand was provided by the button. He showed K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I am not an expert by any means, but I would venture a guess that cold-capping (is that a word?) a three toned flop with a gutshot and nut low flush draw is not a positive EV play. The funny thing is, he kinda got what I assume he wanted. He got the free card on the turn and made his straight on the river.

I really can't blame the UTG, I would have played it the same way (after the turn, at least. The flop call is pretty sketchy). With all the action, it is pretty safe to assume that someone will bet the turn.

The moral of the story obviously is: Don't limp with decent position with KTo, limp with worse postion with Q9o. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2004, 04:35 PM

I don't see the limp as being horrible in a game that you knew the people and the texture but limping when you just sit down with below average hands is a bad idea from a lot of perspectives.

I bet the turn and call down to a raise. The river is an absolute call. He's going to be betting 999 as much as he's betting a FH or a flush there.