Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2004, 12:28 AM

Default bottom two pair against raiser

Reno, Circus Circus, 3-6

I've been at the table for an hour or so. No read on CO, though I know he hasn't been in too many hands. I haven't seen him step out of line with any hand he's been in. Mostly, table is loose/passive preflop.

I have 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in SB.

5 limpers to CO who raises. I call, BB folds, 5 limpers call.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7 players)

I bet, 1 MP calls, CO raise, I reraise, MP calls, CO caps, I call, MP calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
I bet, MP calls, CO raises, I call, MP calls

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
I check, MP checks, CO bets, I call, MP folds.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:30 AM

Default Results

CO has AJ offsuit
I take the pot with 2 pair
Old 05-01-2004, 02:52 AM

Default Re: bottom two pair against raiser

Looks fine.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:05 AM

I don't think its worth calling pre-flop.

Stu
Old 05-01-2004, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think its worth calling pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even with almost certain 6 way action?
Old 05-01-2004, 05:39 PM

The preflop call was the main thing I was wondering about. Why do you think this is too loose? Being in the small blind it doesn't cost me as much and with so many callers I figured it'd be good if I got a good flushy-lookin' draw.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:41 PM

I think it looks good, you have a strong drawing hand with multiway action. Pretty easy to dump if you dont get a favorable looking flop.

Ponks
Old 05-01-2004, 06:35 PM

The preflop call is fine, despite the fact that you have terrible position.

The rest of the hand looks fine, although I consider betting out on the river. KJ, KK and JJ are really the only hands I'm concerned about at this point.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop call was the main thing I was wondering about. Why do you think this is too loose? Being in the small blind it doesn't cost me as much and with so many callers I figured it'd be good if I got a good flushy-lookin' draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

The typical blind structure of a 3-6 game is a $1 small blind(1/3sb) and a $3 big blind(1sb). When you cold call a raise from the small blind, you're basically putting in 2 bets(5/3sbs). In other limits (i.e. $2-$4, $10-$20)cold calling from the small blind would cost you portionally less(15/10sbs). Its not that much a of a difference but it is enough that some hands you would cold call from the small blind in other blind structures turn into folds in this one. Not adjusting ones play for different blind structures is a leak for many players.

That being said, against this many players 87s is likely marginally profitable. The problem is, you don't know how many players are ultimately going to see the flop.

When the cutoff raises, it does not necessarily indicate he has a monster hand. He might have a monster, or he might just be trying to buy the button and/or get a free look at the turn card.

This pot is going to be substaintail and the sentiate players know it. Some of EP players may correctly decide to throw in a reraise, if a reraise would cause a few players in the field to fold. This reraise becomes correct because by getting a few players to fold preflop they substaintially increases thier chance that they will win that pot. The action so far, has increased the chance that this pot will be reraised. Not considering the pot will be reraised behind them is a leak for many players.

Generally I fold here. Generally I am in a game with either an action player who likes to build big pots and likes to reraise and/or with another good player who knows when to throw in a tactically correct re-raise. In the right game, however, I would play it.

Hopefully this adequately explains my position.

Stu