Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Help Wanted

Playing 3/6 live with a kill. A little information about the players in this hand. SB is extremely drunk, possibly high. He's been at the table for approximately 30 minutes and is already about half way through his second rack, without ever having raised. BB is playing a few too many hands and will bet if he catches any part of the flop. CO seems fairly reasonable up to this point, plays straight forward nothing fancy. On to the hand.

I'm UTG with a kill. Folded to the CO who calls $6. Button folds SB calls $6 BB calls $6. I look at my cards and see QdQc. I check my option.

4 to the flop for 2 BB

Flop 7s Jc 4d.

Checked to me, I bet $6 CO, SB and BB all call $6.

4 to the turn for 4BB.

Turn 9s[7s Jc 4d].

Checked to me, I bet $12 CO raises to $24. SB surprisingly folds, or he may have passed out, anyway he's out of the hand. BB folds. I call $12 more.

Heads up to the river for 8BB.
River 2h [9s 7s Jc 4d].

I check. CO bets $12, I call $12. He turns over Jh, 4h for two pair and takes the pot.

I didn't raise before the flop for a couple of reasons. One, I felt that my raise would not get any of them to fold and two I din't want the pot so large that they would chase to the river whether they had correct odds to do so or not. My questions are, should I have 3 bet the CO on the turn and then led out on the river? Should I have bet the river and folded to a raise. I honestly could not put him on 10-8 for the straight, and no way did I put him on J-4. I thought he had A-J and was trying to take the pot with his turn raise.

All criticsm and comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Help Wanted

[ QUOTE ]

I didn't raise before the flop for a couple of reasons. One, I felt that my raise would not get any of them to fold and two I din't want the pot so large that they would chase to the river whether they had correct odds to do so or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you playing a tournament or something?

If this is a cash game, you must understand that making this raise is more important than winning the hand.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:24 PM

Quiz time: You're in MP with AA, two limpers to you and you raise. What do you want the rest of the table to do? What's the best possible preflop outcome?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:24 PM

You should have raised preflop.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't raise before the flop for a couple of reasons. One, I felt that my raise would not get any of them to fold and two I din't want the pot so large that they would chase to the river whether they had correct odds to do so or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you playing a tournament or something?

If this is a cash game, you must understand that making this raise is more important than winning the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a cash game and you are correct I should have raised pre-flop. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quiz time: You're in MP with AA, two limpers to you and you raise. What do you want the rest of the table to do? What's the best possible preflop outcome?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would want the rest of the table that hasn't acted yet, to fold. I should have raised, I realize that now. In fact I realized it right after the CO raised the turn.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:41 PM

*beep* wrong answer!

You know what to do (raise with aces) but not why, yet.

I don't know if I want to give it away, but the right answer is you want everyone to call your raise.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:42 PM

Why would you want everyone to fold when you have the nuts?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want everyone to fold when you have the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I would want those left to act to fold to protect my hand. I would be almost 100% certain that the limpers that have already put in one bet will play for two. Maybe my thinking is backwards and needs to be adjusted. Which is why I'm asking these questions and I greatly appreciate all the help I can get.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:59 PM

One of the lessons we all have to learn starting out, is that you want to win chips, not pots.

No matter how many players are in, AA will win a lot more than it's fair share. Against 1 player it wins about 85%, against 9, it wins about 30%. It doesn't matter if you lose 70% of the time, because the 30% you win makes it hugely profitable for you.

If 10 players put in 4 SB before the flop, in the long run, 12 SB, 30%, will belong to you. The same advantage exists for all pairs, but for pairs 99 and higher, the advantage is simply huge. While there are sometimes reasons not to cap preflop, you are never far wrong to put in as much money as possible against as many people as possibly with AA, KK, QQ, and AKs.

Look here for more detail:

http://www.gocee.com/poker/HE_Value.htm