Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Re: KTs UTG... ashamed to post this as my first hand

Thanks Ed, but look at my reply to blackaces and tell me if that line of play is stronger. I know you are a respected poster around here and I would appreciate you input.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:51 PM

Don't buy any balls, even if they're only $2. Your river bet shows that your balls are alive and well. Other than that river bet, I like how you played this hand. Funny post too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2004, 06:01 AM

The only questionable play was your river bet which was at least a scary enough bet that UTG+2 only called with what I read as a better hand.

Ya, that's why I like the bet. He bets the four-straight, so he's not going to get raised by an overpair. Of course, that assumes that if he does get raised, he can safely fold.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:34 AM

...and [I] can't remember the last time I folded [KTs UTG] in a 20-40 game.

This statement really concerns me. I can't remember the last time I was at a mid-limit table where KTs was at all limpable UTG. Probably because I never have been.

GoT
Old 05-01-2004, 06:51 AM

This statement really concerns me. I can't remember the last time I was at a mid-limit table where KTs was at all limpable UTG. Probably because I never have been.

There's no reason to be "really concerned." Even when KTs is -EV from UTG, it is only marginally so. It is a marginal hand from UTG... sometimes marginally positive and other times marginally negative. Maybe at worst a $2 loss in a $20-$40 game.

You get KTs once every 331.5 hands. You are UTG maybe once every 8 hands on average. Thus, you get KTs UTG once every 2652 hands or so. Divide that by 35 hands an hour, and this situation occurs once every 75 hours or so.

It takes Dynasty about three months to play 75 hours, so he gets it maybe four times a year. If he happens to be in a terrible game every time he gets KTs UTG, and he stubbornly plays anyway, then his folly will cost him $8 per year.

Well, I feel terrible that Dynasty is hemhorraging money like this... so I plan to make up for it by buying him a lapdance in December 2006.

FWIW, I also think you are wrong. I think KTs is probably marginally profitable UTG in most $20-$40 level games. But even if you ARE right, who cares?