Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Hand from a 10+1 PP SnG.

You're right, it was late, I left that out. Obviously AK has AQ dominated.

-Edge
Old 04-28-2004, 02:15 PM

I counted 3 Aces and 3 Queens as overpairs which could potentially be good.

4 Jacks for the gutshot straight.

That's 3+3+4=10. Am I missing something? Like I said, it was late then, but I might still be off.

-Edge
Old 04-28-2004, 02:19 PM

The 3 10s and 3 8s would counterfeit the other guy's 2 pair and give the A kicker the hand.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:22 PM

This is very true. I was looking at it as though I was playing the hand and assumed I needed to get direct help to my hand, since I wouldn't know he had 66.

Thanks for the (obvious) clarification that I just didn't get somehow.

-Edge
Old 04-28-2004, 04:58 PM

The way I see it if you are trying to isolate UTG then you force him all-in, which would be a t600 raise.

But with 6 players and the big stack I fold AQs in EP. Is that so wrong?
Old 04-28-2004, 05:49 PM

"Is that so wrong?"

Depends on who you're asking, I'm sure. To me, though, AQs, with the big stack and 6 left, not only do you have a shot at having the best hand (or at least not being down by much, as it was in this case), but you've got the stack to push people around and the hand to back it up. Folding this seems awful weak/tight to me. Not saying you're weak/tight, but laying down that hand...I couldn't do it without significant action.

-Edge
Old 04-28-2004, 08:54 PM

I think your PF raise it too big. How does raise to 200 sound. I like that a lot more. This way, you can lay it down if the Button, SB or BB goes over the top, but have bet enough to commit UTG to a fold or all-in. This is essentially your goal PF with your hand and position, and a raise to 200 does that successfully. When UTG goes all-in, this is an easy call for me, especially at the $10+1 tourneys. He should not be berating your play, because it is pretty standard. I PERSONALLY, don't like to raise that much though, because it almost commits you to the pot if the BB goes all-in, and you lose a big portion of your stack if the Button or SB goes over the top.

As for your analysis, I think it is pretty off base. How can you call UTG's play bad. He got his chips all-in, as the short stack, and a slight edge. When I'm the short stack in this situation, I am EXSTATIC that I can do this. He is a favorite to double up when all the chips are in, and get back into the mix. It was a pretty good play on his part. As for criticizing his limp UTG, that is questionable, but he may have wanted to see a flop and push on the flop when rags hit or slowplay a set. This gives him more flexibility. You should think about these things before jumping the gun on analyzing your opponent's plays.

Ajizzle
Old 04-30-2004, 07:05 PM

Consider the situation. Weak-tight has worked very well for me at Party 10-1 SnGs. Before I am in the money, I pick my spots for agression. I pretty much never limp.
Do I want to raise 4xBB UTG with AQs, big stack, with 6 players? Not really. I'd rather wait for AK or a high pair and if I don't get it, I'm coasting into the money.

Then when in the top 3, my play borders maniac preflop.