Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Hit a Gutshot for the Stone Cold Nuts...$100 NLHE Home Game

Home Game NLHE $.50-1.00 blinds
Nine Handed (Av'g Stack about $120 at this point due to a rebuy or two...stacks start at $80-100)

I am SB with $190.
UTG has $120 and is fairly solid, bets hard when he has it and is capable of bluffing hard if he smells weakness.

UTG+1 Loose preflop, but plays well enough after the flop. Will stab at uncoordinated boards with nothing or close to nothing quite a bit and he knows we know he does that.
If called on the turn on his bluff, he rarely, if ever fires again on the river against me.

Both players have a good deal of respect and they aren't (esp. the UTG+1) comfortable playing big pots with me. If they raise me, they have a very strong hand.

I am in the SB and complete after five or so limpers with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks.

Flop ($7): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Giving me a gut shot with two overs.

I check and checked to the UTG+1. He reaches for his chips and we start needling him and telling him to bet $6 or $8 this time (his unraised pot bet is always $3 or $4.
He laughs and then bets $4. Folded to me I uncharacteristially call with my gutshout,but figuring if I hit my nine or ten against him I could very well be good. Also, if a big card hits, I can prob. move him off his hand if indeed he has anything.
BB calls(means TPWK or a draw of some sort)
UTG calls [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I think this means overs with this board as he would have bet TP or better, but he can be tricky so I cant be too sure.

Turn ($23): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] which completes the rainbow. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here is where I dont know how I go about the hand.
Because of my table image and respect, if I lead out for more than $10, they will most likely fold all but two pair or better. In general, all but two or three players at our table consistently underbet the pot on the turn when they are in the lead (A pot sized bet past the flop at our table is usually means a big hand, or once in a while something like TPTK trying to protect against a scary looking board with more than one caller.)

Knowing this, what is your play here? Keep in mind that the UTG+1 will fire one more bullet (usually about $10-12 on the turn if checked to him, and I act immediately after that.

Thanks for the help,

I will post the another follow up with the next situation in the hand after some responses.

FsuPlayer

Old 04-29-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Turned the Stone Cold Nuts... How to proceed.

[ QUOTE ]
Home Game NLHE $.50-1.00 blinds
Nine Handed (Av'g Stack about $120 at this point due to a rebuy or two...stacks start at $80-100)

I am SB with $190.
UTG has $120 and is fairly solid, bets hard when he has it and is capable of bluffing hard if he smells weakness.

UTG+1 Loose preflop, but plays well enough after the flop. Will stab at uncoordinated boards with nothing or close to nothing quite a bit and he knows we know he does that.
If called on the turn on his bluff, he rarely, if ever fires again on the river against me.

Both players have a good deal of respect and they aren't (esp. the UTG+1) comfortable playing big pots with me. If they raise me, they have a very strong hand.

I am in the SB and complete after five or so limpers with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB checks.

Flop ($7): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Giving me a gut shot with two overs.

I check and checked to the UTG+1. He reaches for his chips and we start needling him and telling him to bet $6 or $8 this time (his unraised pot bet is always $3 or $4.
He laughs and then bets $4. Folded to me I uncharacteristially call with my gutshout,but figuring if I hit my nine or ten against him I could very well be good. Also, if a big card hits, I can prob. move him off his hand if indeed he has anything.
BB calls(means TPWK or a draw of some sort)
UTG calls [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I think this means overs with this board as he would have bet TP or better, but he can be tricky so I cant be too sure.

Turn ($23): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] which completes the rainbow. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Here is where I dont know how I go about the hand.
Because of my table image and respect, if I lead out for more than $10, they will most likely fold all but two pair or better. In general, all but two or three players at our table consistently underbet the pot on the turn when they are in the lead (A pot sized bet past the flop at our table is usually means a big hand, or once in a while something like TPTK trying to protect against a scary looking board with more than one caller.)

Knowing this, what is your play here? Keep in mind that the UTG+1 will fire one more bullet (usually about $10-12 on the turn if checked to him, and I act immediately after that.

Thanks for the help,

I will post the another follow up with the next situation in the hand after some responses.

FsuPlayer

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that a check-raise is the obvious play; but, if the underbet of a made-hand comes in ahead of you your re-raise should be large (because they'd probably come along) and, conversely, if there's a protection bet come back with about 1-2 times that size (to perhaps keep them on the line). I don't know if that's the best way to play it, just my first inclination. Since it's only 3-handed at this point, the only way to play this nut is slow to trap one or both of them if you can. Try to make them think you're bluffing if you can. Are either of these 2 (more likely the BB) the kind that might play 56 (s or o) in their position? Would the BB slow-play the low end of a straight? That would be a dream come true! Since they respect you might they anticipate an attempt to steal by you when the 8 Turns? The other option is to lie low until the river and check-move-in... That might be the best in this situation since the BB probably also anticipates UTG+1 to bet an unraised turn card as well, so he'll probably call to the river at least, especially if he has been slowplaying IMHO. There's some stream-of-conciousness ideas to chew on. I'm interested in your feedback, too!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Hit a Gutshot for the Stone Cold Nuts...$100 NLHE Home Game

If you're asking how to take someone else's entire stack, I think you're looking at it wrong. This is a "friendly" home game I take it? Although you mention one of your opponents being quite aggressive, I doubt that you'd be able to get very much out of either of them on this hand...especially since there aren't any painted cards on the board, and there was no strong betting before or on the flop.

The best play here would be to check-raise the turn, then value bet the river.

ps~ in order for there to be a rainbow board, that turn would have to be the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2004, 02:17 PM

There's no such thing as a friendly home game. Unless by "friendly," you mean I yuck it up with my good friends while trying my damndest to rob them blind at the poker table.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:25 PM

By "friendly", I mean..."You can sheer a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once."

Now if this was a game against complete strangers in a B&M, it obviously changes the whole scenario...
Old 04-29-2004, 02:26 PM

The guy you think is most likely to bet is in last position. Bet out, perhaps an amount that you think would be called by a one-pair hand and raised by a better hand. I disagree w/ the other posters and don't like the checkraise plan here.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:45 PM

The 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] was my oversight, it was a rainbow board on the turn, thus I didnt have to worry about any backdoor flush of any sort. It is a home game, and most of us are friends from playing poker, but when in a hand, there is no soft playing and sissy-footing around, esp. from the three of us in the hand at that point. I am trying to take their entire stack, and anything else of worth they put on that table. It is def. not just for fun, although when we are having some drinks, it sure becomes wild and fun!

FsuPlayer
Old 04-29-2004, 04:17 PM

agree with ulysses here, i would bet something that a single pair would call, and give a larger hand the opportunity to raise. think check-raise and big lead out are equally poor choices