Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Re: 50-100 - River battle

Do you think someone who has flopped quads would check-raise the flop? Thats pretty aggressive even if he is certain his opponent will call. JJ seems right.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Results and thoughts

UTG flipped over A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for Aces-full vs. my Kings-full, and takes down a 19 BB ($1900) pot, biggest pot I've ever lost.

I thought about this for a little while again after I posted it, more importantly, in relation to the QQ hand. After he folded the QQ hands, he got angry and in a huff, told me he would have called the turn bet anyway.

I think after that one, he was determined to mess with my head, and when he saw me get aggressive against his Aces, he was going to play as fancy as he possibly could with them. I think he went for a check-raise hat-trick on that hand, but when I checked through the turn he just bet the river. I think I should have smelled that coming.

JJ was exactly what I had him on, but I also had seen him raise A7s from MP against tight blinds, so I also had A9s in the "maybe" pile.

I automatically ruled out AA (due to no cap preflop) until he started with his AK chop routine, and I think it was wrong to not consider him getting stupidly fancy here.

I had a strong finish to the 13 hour session, and overall I feel good about my play at that level. After 25 BB swings in one session, it's fair to say I can't afford to play in that game regularly. I got beat a bunch of times on (i.e. gutshot+flushdraw caught an innocent looking T to beat me, and backdoor flush vs. my toptwo), but still finished slightly ahead. I have the minimum roll for this kinda game, especially since it's so aggressive (several players would bet from EP into a PF raiser on any A-high board, virtually no hands went unraised preflop). But I certainly felt like a favourite at the table, so that's good news. On the other hand, anyone in the 15 game at Party in the last two weeks probably thinks otherwise [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2004, 05:08 PM

I think I was sitting to your immediate left in this game Gamblor. Didn't know it was you.

Pipedream
Old 04-28-2004, 05:24 PM

Nice T on the river [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

I didn't feel like relating the whole ATo vs. AKo semi-chop debacle. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2004, 05:47 PM

Oh man that AK vs. AT was hilarious. You took it pretty well though.

Pipedream
Old 04-28-2004, 11:18 PM

I can't believe you think seat 3 was a tough player. That guy was the biggest Hollywood I've ever seen and you couldn't pry him off a marginal hand with a crowbar. Just cause he's suckin' out and winnin' pots don't mean he's good.

Pipedream
Old 04-29-2004, 09:12 AM

That guy was the biggest Hollywood I've ever seen and you couldn't pry him off a marginal hand with a crowbar. Just cause he's suckin' out and winnin' pots don't mean he's good.

Well he certainly was pure hollywood, but I don't think I saw him show down any unreasonable hands.

He'd certainly been winning pots, but then again he also had AA 4 times in that session.

He looked like he could play (well, his showdowns looked like he could play). He was adept at noticing tight blinds - his PF raise from MP with A7s is an example, when cowboy hat on your left and the Asian guy with glasses were in the blinds, who were probably the tightest players on that table. Unfortunately, getting 3-bet with AKo wasn't in the plan, but considering the blinds, it was a good raise.

Nonetheless, you've probably played more often with him, as I didn't see him get too out of line at any point ('xcept the AA non-cap)

Aiyaa!!!