Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 04:55 AM

Default Lesson of complacency

Good 4/8 game.

It's a kill pot, so 8/16 (but I DID NOT REALIZE IT WAS A KILL POT). I'm in MP and look down to see AA. I glibly place $8 in front of me without announcing a raise; and then add $8 more. Player 2 to my left complains about the string raise, so dealer pushes $8 back to me. Complainer then calls.

Lesson learned? I will always verbally announce my intentions. Turned out that complainer had Q5s. Board was (Q27)-9-Q. He would have never called a kill-pot, preflop raise with Q5 suited or not. But, he was more than happy to limp.

I kind of fumed about it, but I learned a lesson.

bdy
Old 04-26-2004, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Lesson of complacency

[ QUOTE ]
Good 4/8 game.

It's a kill pot, so 8/16 (but I DID NOT REALIZE IT WAS A KILL POT). I'm in MP and look down to see AA. I glibly place $8 in front of me without announcing a raise; and then add $8 more. Player 2 to my left complains about the string raise, so dealer pushes $8 back to me. Complainer then calls.

Lesson learned? I will always verbally announce my intentions. Turned out that complainer had Q5s. Board was (Q27)-9-Q. He would have never called a kill-pot, preflop raise with Q5 suited or not. But, he was more than happy to limp.

I kind of fumed about it, but I learned a lesson.

bdy

[/ QUOTE ]

With all due respect, you have a guy putting at least a bet in on every street, drawing to five outs, and never getting the correct price to do it. Would you have preferred he folded to your raise preflop?

Dan

Old 04-26-2004, 10:44 AM

I have to agree. You hate that he rivered you, but, you want him to keep on playing those hands.

Smile & tell him, "Nice hand, well played." [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Spyder
Old 04-26-2004, 11:02 AM

If you're going to play poker you MUST be aware of all things all the time. There's no reason you shouldn't have known it was a kill pot. I'm sure this is part of the lesson you said you've learned, but I had to say it. By the end of a session (because you're so observent) you should know what everyone at the table had for breakfast. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The other thing is the string bet/raise. I do not think it is nessasary to say "raise" every time you do it. Some people find it better to never say any thing durring the play of a hand to avoid giving any tells. Saying "raise" may solve the string betting/raising problem but could also reveal more than you'd like to. Just a thought. For another thought on this check out the psychology forum. This made me think of something.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect, you have a guy putting at least a bet in on every street, drawing to five outs, and never getting the correct price to do it. Would you have preferred he folded to your raise preflop?
Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I didn't mind him seeing the flop. But I damn sure didn't want him seeing it without paying the maximum. Otherwise I'd be happy to have him fold as well.

I don't plan on limping with AA in the future just so my opponents with crap hands can see the flop cheaply.

bdy
Old 04-26-2004, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to play poker you MUST be aware of all things all the time. There's no reason you shouldn't have known it was a kill pot. I'm sure this is part of the lesson you said you've learned, but I had to say it. By the end of a session (because you're so observent) you should know what everyone at the table had for breakfast. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The other thing is the string bet/raise. I do not think it is nessasary to say "raise" every time you do it. Some people find it better to never say any thing durring the play of a hand to avoid giving any tells. Saying "raise" may solve the string betting/raising problem but could also reveal more than you'd like to. Just a thought. For another thought on this check out the psychology forum. This made me think of something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I MUST never again get distracted. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, I think a string raise is usually more of a tell than announcing a raise. It seems that most often, the string raiser is an inexperienced player and definitely has a hand when they do it. I also think that complaining about a string raise is more of an "angle shoot" than the string raise itself; as the player complaining is using a technicality to see the flop cheaply. Anyway...

bdy
Old 04-26-2004, 04:20 PM

I think it's a good idea to say 'Raise.'
You likely aren't giving anything away (you might be that observant, but your opponents probably aren't).
I've seen too many folks - like you - learn this lesson the hard way.
And I also agree about charging people to play against your aces. Heads-up, you're a big favorite; limp and let the world see the flop with you, you're asking for trouble (in most games).
Old 04-26-2004, 04:36 PM

I disagree with some responses. I am happy to drive out any hands possible. I would not want him seeing the flop with Q-5. If he is to river me, let it be for two bets or more preflop. Pay attention next time! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with some responses. I am happy to drive out any hands possible. I would not want him seeing the flop with Q-5. If he is to river me, let it be for two bets or more preflop. Pay attention next time! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. Driving out other hands is one of the 5 reasons to raise.

I've played at the table with the guy before and I know he wouldn't have called a raise, especially in a kill pot, with Q5s. He LOVES to play any 2 sooted if he can limp though.

As for paying attention, I got distracted and also didn't have a clear view of the active kill button...I was really p!ssed with myself for the lack of attention...and losing a pot I would have otherwise won. Oh well, lesson learned.

bdy
Old 04-27-2004, 04:33 AM

Yeah... Stealing the blinds is awesome with AA.

Seriously, you want idiots to play poor starters against you. They will river you now and then, but do you know how much these people pay you off when you flop a full house and they runner-runner a flush?

Sure I'm nervous when I raise AA and get 6 callers but this hand isn't supposed to win every time you play it.