Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Am I The Maniac for Making this Call?

PokerStars Game #405213517: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) -
2004/04/25 - 19:36:29 (ET)
warnpro ($102.95 in chips)
danedog ($200.65 in chips)

I (warnpro) am in the CO and dealt 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], it is folded to me and I just call.

The small blind (danedog) completes, and the BB (irrelevant) checks.

The flop is: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

danedog: bets $1
bosctlax: folds
warnpro: raises $3 to $4
danedog: raises $3 to $7
warnpro: raises $9 to $16
danedog: raises $9 to $25
warnpro: calls $9

The turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

Danedog bets $1
Warnrpo Calls

The river: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img](A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])

danedog: bets $101
warnpro: calls $75.95 and is all-in

--------------------------

I am new to the table, but watched for a while before joining. I labeled Danedog a borderline maniac, as I saw him call a $15 p/f raise with K/8 offsuit. Then he played 3/6 offsuit to a $4 p/f raise. So he was playing pretty much any two cards, to any p/f raise.
He had hit a hand, a doubled up to $200 while I had been watching the action.
I didn't raise with my tens p/f with the intent of disguising a set should I hit, and trapping him hoping to take his stack if I hit.

I posted this hand (my first ever), because ordinarily I fold to a river bet like this, but with my read on this player, I thought my hand would hold up.

So let me know how I played this, and take a guess if you want on whether or not my Pocket 10's held up, and what my opponent held.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Am I The Maniac for Making this Call?

Hrm...I'll guess at this.

I put him on trips on the flop.

The $1 turn bet seems weird. My guess is he's afraid of the ace and wants to see if you reraise. When you just call, he puts you firmly on a mid-large-pocket and thinks he has you beat.

The second A makes his full and he pushes. If he's a maniac like you say, you could have taken this down, but I doubt you did. His play seems consistent with bottom or second trips.

As far as your play, I think you reraised too small on the flop. You didn't hit your set, but there are no overcards yet. You want to win it now before tricky cards like that A fall. I'd raise the first bet to more like $7. Now, when he reraises so small, I think you can figure you're behind. Think about this: he's a maniac calling and betting large stacks of chips. Suddenly, he's reraising small. Do you think he wants a call for his strong hand or a fold for his weak hand with that action? It's not always a valid read, but for a maniac his play reeks of trips.

I bet he took your whole stack with 55.

-Ben
Old 04-26-2004, 10:46 AM

My thoughts exactly. It's good advice.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:03 AM

Please don't post raw hand histories.

Use a converter to protect the crappy from learning that they suck.

scrub
Old 04-26-2004, 11:21 AM

He could have flopped two-pair and not realize that the second ace counterfeited his hand. I put him on 85 or 53.

Paul
Old 04-26-2004, 11:24 AM

I would question the flop play. Once he raises to 25, I am guessing you are playing to 2 outs. You mentioned he is a maniac pre-flop but didn't mention his post-flop play.

Ken Poklitar
Old 04-26-2004, 02:01 PM

Thanks for your replies...

Of course I feared a set on the flop, but figured he'd re-raise much more on the flop if he had.
His $1 bet on the turn when the Ace came, convinced me he didn't hold an Ace, or he hadn't hit his set after all. After I just called his small turn bet, another Ace shows, and he pushes his stack in.

This push looked like an attempt to buy the pot to me, or if he had his two pair on the flop, the board pairing higher foiled his two pair against my Tens.

Anyway, after I called, I discovered he held 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and was on nothing more than a gut shot. I was fortunate to take down the $200 pot.

-------
"Please don't post raw hand histories.

Use a converter to protect the crappy from learning that they suck."

scrub
-------
How do you use the hand converter? Like I said this was the first hand I have posted here.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:28 PM

On the turn, he had more than a gutshot. He also picked up a flush draw. He should have bet big here (not bet a puny $1), and I think the correct move for you there is to fold on the turn to his big bet.

bisonbison's hand converter can be found here:

http://www.selachian.com/tools/bison...hconverter.cgi

Garland
Old 04-26-2004, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the link Garland.

You're right about his flush draw coming on the turn. I would have definitely folded to a sizeable bet on the turn.
His $1 bet showed weakness, and hence my call on the river when the board paired Aces.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link Garland.

You're right about his flush draw coming on the turn. I would have definitely folded to a sizeable bet on the turn.
His $1 bet showed weakness, and hence my call on the river when the board paired Aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your logic is flawed, here. If you believe his $1 bet means weakness and you plan to call all your money off, anyway, why not move in on the turn?

SpaceAce