Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2004, 12:24 AM

Default Eli Manning/Steve Francis

Ok, maybe this has been brought up before, but I haven't seen it yet.

Eli Manning says he doesn't want to be drafted by the Chargers, and he does get drafted, and he goes up to the stage obviously disappointed, but holds up the jersey and he's a 'class act'.

Steve Francis gets drafted by the Vancouver Grizzlies, is clearly unhappy, yet puts on his Grizzlies cap anyway, and is immediately labeled a pouter and a crybaby.

Am I missing something?
Old 04-25-2004, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Eli Manning/Steve Francis

No, but some will not be able to draw the obvious conclusion.

-Mike
Old 04-25-2004, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, maybe this has been brought up before, but I haven't seen it yet.

Eli Manning says he doesn't want to be drafted by the Chargers, and he does get drafted, and he goes up to the stage obviously disappointed, but holds up the jersey and he's a 'class act'.

Steve Francis gets drafted by the Vancouver Grizzlies, is clearly unhappy, yet puts on his Grizzlies cap anyway, and is immediately labeled a pouter and a crybaby.

Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Eli was abused as a child by his father (a closet alcoholic), I think this has something to do with it, people feel sorry for him.

This interview was in an 80's issue of Sports Illustrated, it turns out Archie also had a problem with speed.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:26 AM

it turns out Archie also had a problem with speed.

He was faster than Peyton or Eli!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:31 AM

I think there is definitely something to this difference you point out, but it should be noted that Steve was literally crying as he wore the Grizzlies hat.

I think its ridiculous that either should be criticized for voicing their strong personal feelings about where they want to spend their life. The attitude in professional sports that these young athletes should have no say whatsoever in their futures is absurd.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
According to who? The fans in the place booed him just like he deserved. What was he going to do? Refuse something the commissioner was handing him? A 'class act' would have worn the hat and respected the fact that a professional sports organization (in one of the most beautiful cities in the country, by the way) thought he was the best player in the draft and were prepared to pay him accordingly.

Same goes for Francis - I have the same amount of respect for both of them. A great player makes a team great - he doesn't whine, moan and cry because the grass is greener somewhere else.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it turns out Archie also had a problem with speed.

He was faster than Peyton or Eli!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:56 PM

Well for one, Chris Berman called him exactly a 'class act' on Sportscenter. I am amazed that more sportswriters aren't more appalled at what the Mannings did.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:00 AM

I agree that it's a little surprising that more media folks aren't ripping into the Mannings for their display last week. The pre-1st-pick "debate" over who comes out looking the worst was a total joke. Somehow it's San Diego's fault that a whiny, spoiled brat of a QB doesn't want to play for them?

Ultimately though, the lack of media condemnation isn't a big concern for me. The abundance of boos on draft day every time his name was mentioned confirms for me that the most important party - the fans - have already passed judgment and correctly so. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2004, 08:49 AM

When you have a (dis)organization like San Diego's, that does not have winning as a top priority, yes it is your own fault that the most talented player in the draft refuses to play for you.