Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 02:59 PM

Default An AK hand

Starting to play more and more, so I need to start posting more and more hands. Since this is a 6-max table, I figure I'll post it here. Comments please.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (11 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ah Kc (three of a kind, kings).
Button shows 7s Jh (two pair, kings and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 11 BB. </font>
Old 04-23-2004, 03:33 PM

Default Re: An AK hand

I haven't looked at the result but If anyone can think of a different way to play it let me know. Maybe a check river to induce bluff check raise?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:53 PM

I think a check on the River is a mistake here, this guy has to contend with a 3-suited board and overpair, he checks behind 90% of the time, esp. as his 2-pair has been counterfeit.

I am tempted to dump overcards a lot in this kind of game but cosmo used Button's bet to clear out the field and clean up his 6 outs. The raise gets 6:1 (assuming only Button calls) against odds of 6.6:1 to catch his overcards (if we inc. Q+T for the runner-straight as a possible out, to counter the times he improves and opponent still wins). Another caller would have squared things up nicely.

Somewhat risky, slightly -EV (unless another caller comes along, but that would probably be the flush draw). Not sure if I would always favour this move out of position, but I like it as a play. Turns out he had a much better hand than TP, and hero was a little fortunate to catch 2 good cards to overtake Button. I think I would be more tempted to take this line with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Old 04-24-2004, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would be more tempted to take this line with A or K .

[/ QUOTE ]

No way I woulda wanted to c/r and clear the field with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet out and hope all call.

Catch-
Old 04-24-2004, 05:07 PM

Am I the only one who would ponder a check raise on the turn?

Depending on my read, I may try something like that.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:16 PM

I did not say A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - I said A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] OR K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

What this means is, I am more tempted to raise like this when I have a way out to the nut or 2nd nut flush.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:18 PM

Gotcha...

Catch-