Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Mirage 20-40: Dynasty vs.Coilean

This Mirage 20-40 hand was played at about 4:00am on Friday morning. The game was fairly good for a while but was getting tight as the gamblerinos went to bed and several tight players stayed in the 7 or 8-handed game.

Coilean has a big advantage in this hand. He knows who I am based on hearing my name during conversation at the table and recognizing my accent. I, however, didn't know it's Coilean I was up against until I was cashing out. However, I had identified him as an ultra-tighty based on the dust settling on his chips and very aggressive when he has a hand.

The hand:

It's folded to Coilean in the cutoff and he open-raises. Button and Small Blind fold. I'm in the big blind with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and call. Heads-up to the flop.

The flop is: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I decide I'm not folding this hand no matter what.

I check. Coilean bets. I call.

The turn is: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check. Coilean bets. I check-raise. Coilean 3-bets. I reaffirm that I'm not folding and call.

The river is: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Mirage 20-40: Dynasty vs.Coilean

There are a lot of lines to take on this hand, but this is one I rarely use. I like 3-betting preflop, betting and 3-betting the flop and checkraising the flop all more than I like this.

Old 04-23-2004, 11:52 AM

Good timing of your post for me Clark,

I read your reply and just a second ago....

Party 15/30: I have 77 in the BB. Unknown Cutoff raises, the rest fold. I 3-bet, CO calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet he calls.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet he calls

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet he folds.

I think I like your line a little better because it helps me to better define where I'm at postflop.

Regards,
Jamie
Old 04-23-2004, 12:37 PM

Default Chopped pot.

i think clark and i know this is a chopped pot as coilean has K6o 100% of the time. good hand.

on a more serious note, its like calling with those nines from poker essays after being checkraised. its a losing play but lets the good player know you're not going away that easily (from poker essays II i think). except this time it worked out and you won.
-Barron
Old 04-23-2004, 12:39 PM

"I decide I'm not folding this hand no matter what."

I had decided the same thing on the hand I posted where I had 8-2 against a button limper and the flop came A-A-2.

In general, though, isn't this an unwise policy?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Results

66 was good. Coilean had AT for the lower end of the straight (and a no-pair 3-bet on the turn).
Old 04-24-2004, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I decide I'm not folding this hand no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am a huge Dynasty fan! Your take on how to play a poker hand is second to none. But this statement leaves me wanting more information. Certianly you had a read, or something else tipped you off that your small pair was good. What if an Ace or Face flops or turns?
Old 04-24-2004, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had identified him as an ultra-tighty based on the dust settling on his chips and very aggressive when he has a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
(emphasis mine)

I believe this is the reason you are looking for. I was in the midst of a run of pretty crappy cards at this point, so decided to try taking advantage of the "ultra-tighty" image I figured everyone had of me. Actually, I think I was mostly on autopilot at this point, lulled into stupor by the rythm of pitching my cards into the muck hand after hand, and hadn't yet put two and two together (so to speak) to wake up to the fact of who my opponent probably was. That epiphany happened later, while I was in the restroom, where I like to imagine many great (and not so great) ideas are born [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
Old 04-24-2004, 04:01 PM

"I was in the midst of a run of pretty crappy cards at this point, so decided to try taking advantage of the "ultra-tighty" image I figured everyone had of me. Actually, I think I was mostly on autopilot at this point, lulled into stupor by the rhythm of pitching my cards into the muck hand after hand, and hadn't yet put two and two together (so to speak) to wake up to the fact of who my opponent probably was. That epiphany happened later, while I was in the restroom, where I like to imagine many great (and not so great) ideas are born"

-One of the greatest paragraphs in 2+2 history.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:43 PM

why would you checkraise, the turn, you are actually tying him in on the hand.

Why wouldn't you just fire out on the turn.