Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2004, 10:04 AM

Default KK with flopped boat but still friggin scary

15-30 online and the game is good. I dont concentrate on tells though, almost never do. I know its good to have tells but I find it too boring to watch the hands when I´m not in. So plz dont comment that part. I am seeking for advice like I just sat down.

I get pocket kings (K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) back to back. When I was on the small blind I raised and flopped a set and won but they all folded on the turn.

On this hand cutoff limps in and I raise with my cowboys.
BB calls and so does cutoff

flop K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets out..cutoff calls. I put someone on a queen and raises immediately, hoping for great action on the flop.
They both call.

turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, cutoff calls. I decide to just call, fearing a queen. Feels like win one, lose two bets situation.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, cutoff folds, I called.

I guess preflop is nice. I like my flop raise. But what about my turn and riverplay?

Thanks, Joel
Old 04-22-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: KK with flopped boat but still friggin scary

I always trust my flop reads, it's usually a mistake to abandon them on the turn just because they prove inconvenient. But ... on the flop a Queen would have 3 bet you. On the turn you have someone in the pot and drawing dead, I'd get as much money in as possible in this situation. If I got 3bet on the turn and the cutoff stayed I'd cap and call the river. If the cutoff left I'd call down.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But ... on the flop a Queen would have 3 bet you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What game are you playing in? In most games, I think >75% of the players would check/call flopped trips, waiting until the turn to pop you.

[ QUOTE ]
I always trust my flop reads, it's usually a mistake to abandon them on the turn just because they prove inconvenient

[/ QUOTE ]

But you now have more information about the hand. He is now half as likely to have a queen now that the 3rd one came on the turn. He is just as likely to have the case K. With the 3rd player in there, I would get as much money in the pot as possible. (So, I guess we agree)
Old 04-22-2004, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What game are you playing in? In most games, I think >75% of the players would check/call flopped trips, waiting until the turn to pop you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree Soss, the fact that the BB led out on that flop is one vote against Him having a Q, although with bad position, he may have wanted to make sure the flop didn't get checked through. I play flopped trips on paired boards like that from time to time just because 'playing it straight' has become the trickier play than waiting for the turn in mid limits. And as a recovering FPS addict, it confounds some of the regulars who have notes on me. (One of the good parts about playing at a tiny site like Absolute)

How do you feel about getting 3 bet from the BB on the turn and losing the 3rd player? Do we agree there also?
Old 04-22-2004, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you feel about getting 3 bet from the BB on the turn and losing the 3rd player? Do we agree there also?

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone has the Q, it's the player that is calling. The guy who led the flop, called the raise, and is now leading w/ quads...why wouldn't he checkraise the "obvious" AK? I put him on a king, and the caller on either the case Q or (more likely) an underpair or even just a lone ace.