Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Botched AA?

Hello All,
Party 15/30: No notes on the main opponents but after 4 orbits -- SB seems a little LA. UTG is also a little LA. Button seems straight forward.

UTG raises, I re-raise in the cutoff with AcAh. Button 4 bets. Blinds call, UTG calls.

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
All check to the Button who bets. If anyone had bet into me I would have raised then, for fear button had AK and would just call behind. And if button has the overpair she probably 3 bets allowing me to 4 bet. But with everyone checking I doubt she would check behind with any hand but I may be wrong.

In any event I decided not to cr here and to wait until the turn. All call.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(hmmm, I still plan on check-raising the button. Bad idea?)
All check button bets, but SB check raises. Son of a ....BB folds, UTG folds. I call Button calls.

River: low blank
SB bets. I call button calls.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Anyone advocate a raise on the river if I had 10-10 through KK in hopes of eliminating the button's hand?

Regards,
Jamie
Old 04-21-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Botched AA?

Checkraise the flop, it's 2 ekstra BB that you might not get on the turn.

Reraise the turn, I don't see sb calling 3.3 cold preflop with a 6 or a 9 (if he caps you can fold) and button might still call with QQ or KK.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:58 PM

I certainly don't like how you played this hand, although you either lost or won the minimum, likely lost. I would play very straight forward with the pot already so large. Bet and reraise the flop. Bet the turn. If the SB check raises the turn, with what would he be calling three bets preflop? A9s, but you have two of the aces. T9s, K9s. They all would be awful calls preflop, but then this is Party. I would call the turn check raise, and check call the river when the SB bets. The only question would be whether to reraise the turn to get out the button.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:04 PM

Don't three bet the turn, and dont rule out the possiblity that the SB called 4 bets with a 6 or 9 in his hand, not everyone plays solid poker before the flop. He is showing a hell of a lot of stength into a preflop 3 bettor and a capper. All you can do is call the turn as well as the river.

I can understand wanting to wait until the turn to make a move, but as long as you are sure the button isnt going to check behind. I don't think you played the hand poorly, things just didn't unfold like you planned.

As far as raising the river with a hand like 10 10, its probably ok if you feel like the button is likely to lay down a bigger pair, and you would feel comfoprtable folding to a possible 3 bet from the SB.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 PM

Yeah, in retrospect I only played 4 orbits with the button. I can't be too sure she's going to bet the whole way. And if there's any doubt I should probably check-raise the flop. Takes the guess work out of the turn because if the button doesn't 3 bet a flop check-raise she probably doesn't have an overpair.

I would have been sick if she checked behind on the turn and my hand ended up being good.

------------------------------

If I had 10-10 and raised the river, I could fold to a SB 3 bet and still sleep at night.

Regards,
Jamie
Old 04-21-2004, 11:35 PM

dont rule out the possiblity that the SB called 4 bets with a 6 or 9 in his hand

I'll see him cap before I rule it in. Checkraising the button from sb with a 6 or a 9 doesn't seem likely (in addition to the unlikely preflop call), he has to be worried about it getting chekked around and why doesn't he bet into the field?, this looks more like n isolation raise from a pocket pair.

He is showing a hell of a lot of stength into a preflop 3 bettor and a capper ..one of which showed weaknes on the flop!

He would show more strength by betting form the front - se above!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:19 AM

It's very common for the 3 bettor to check to the capper on the flop, I dont think you can consider that showing weakness in this situation.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:39 AM

It's very common for the 3 bettor to check to the capper on the flop ...and then just call when everybody calls aroung to him? Looks pretty weak to me.

Anyway, my point was that he is more likely to be on an overpair than the boat.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If the SB check raises the turn, with what would he be calling three bets preflop? A9s, but you have two of the aces. T9s, K9s. They all would be awful calls preflop, but then this is Party. I would call the turn check raise, and check call the river when the SB bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding on the turn for 40 seems to me that it's the right move at almost all times.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the response sweetzer,

Why would I want the button out on the turn? If my math is right she's not receiving odds to call the turn cr. But she'll call anyway because she doesn't know she needs to spike her J/Q/K to beat me. And she may not be convinced the SB has her beat.

But she will probably lay down to a check re-raise by me - thus taking away some of the equity I have by playing on after the SB's check raise in the first place right?

-------------

But I do think you're right about playing the flop better.

Regards,
Jamie