Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 07:42 AM

Default several hands.

live multi, blinds 200-400. i have roughly 7000 chips, BB has roughly 3500. it's folded to me, and we're all about 5 out of the money, so the table's starting to tighten up. 7K is about average, folded to me, and i am in cutoff with QJ s000ted. i raise for 1200, folded to BB who calls. flop is Q 3 6. he instantly goes all in. as hellmuth would ask, "why so much"? ok, it's not THAT much. what would you do?

i smelled something nasty, like KK or AA. then again, he's a lowroller, calling bets with trash bluffing the pot and hitting. he could have anything, really.

earlier in the game, i had about 7K, but the blinds were 50-100, and i was probably chip leader at that point. player to my right limps, i am in MP with T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and decide to call. button calls, sb completes, bb checks. flop comes down T T 6. player to my right makes a huge over bet, like 2000. i muck. again here it smelled like he slowplayed a big pair and tried to bet too much too late, but i did smell a rat here. what would you have done? i figured the pot was tiny and my kicker was horrendous and i shouldn't have been in the hand to start with.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:34 AM

Default Re: several hands.

[ QUOTE ]
live multi, blinds 200-400. i have roughly 7000 chips, BB has roughly 3500. it's folded to me, and we're all about 5 out of the money, so the table's starting to tighten up. 7K is about average, folded to me, and i am in cutoff with QJ s000ted. i raise for 1200, folded to BB who calls. flop is Q 3 6. he instantly goes all in. as hellmuth would ask, "why so much"? ok, it's not THAT much. what would you do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Easy call. T2600 in the pot, and he bets about T2300. You have top pair. I would need a pretty dependable read to lay it down here. Also, could he be doing the stop-and-go play? He might have a decent hand, one that he figures is best preflop, but he also figures you will call his all-in reraise preflop. So, he decides to call and bet any flop, so as to win the pot more often.

[ QUOTE ]
i smelled something nasty, like KK or AA. then again, he's a lowroller, calling bets with trash bluffing the pot and hitting. he could have anything, really.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then it's an even easier call.

[ QUOTE ]
earlier in the game, i had about 7K, but the blinds were 50-100, and i was probably chip leader at that point. player to my right limps, i am in MP with T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and decide to call. button calls, sb completes, bb checks. flop comes down T T 6. player to my right makes a huge over bet, like 2000. i muck. again here it smelled like he slowplayed a big pair and tried to bet too much too late, but i did smell a rat here. what would you have done? i figured the pot was tiny and my kicker was horrendous and i shouldn't have been in the hand to start with.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're not playing this flop, what flops would you have played? By the same logic, if the flop had been Ac9c3c, and the same guy bet T2000, you would've smelled a higher flush and folded. Sounds like you can't win with this hand. Clearly, folding preflop is a perfectly acceptable play with this hand. ;-) But, if you're going to limp with it here, which I don't think is terrible or anything, you've got to be willing to risk it all on flops like this. Especially here where you think they're pushing an overpair, it's a great time to go all-in, or to induce further betting by calling them down.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 04-21-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: several hands, and WSOP

thanks greg; i figured i had to call the first hand, but i would have liked to see him bet less, then go over the top, but anyway.....

first hand, i finally called, and he had Q3 suited, flopped two pair, but the turn paired the six and everyone clapped when i busted the maniac.

i folded the Tc2c, and the overbetter proudly showed AT. i told him i folded a T, and he didn't believe me.

i'm going to play satellites in vegas this week for the first 2K WSOP event; i hear they have $50 supersats...are they worth the time and effort? i'm assuming the $50 supers are rebuys and the avg buyin per player can be $200, so if there are 80 players, 8 will win seats...does this follow?

i am willing to play the $200 single table sats as i think i have a better chance of winning the seat in that rather than the supers.....will you be playing?

Old 04-21-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Re: several hands, and WSOP

I know nothing about the $50 supers. Last year, they held a bunch of $50 one-table tourneys where the two finalists both won a $225 seat into a super-satellite for the main event. I don't know if what you're talking about is the same thing, or if they running an actual super-satellite with $50 buyins and rebuys into the $2000 NLH event.

I won't be there until at least a week before the main event, and more likely just a day or so before the main event.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)