Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 10:57 AM

Default For those who hate Michael Konik (very OT)

Not able to sleep, so I'm watching the World Series of Blackjack, which is unbearable. I'm in no shape to be sitting in the 15/30 game online, and since I have no other real hobbies, I can't help myself.

There are 2 players that understand how to play to some degree (minimum wager for most of the tournament), and then 3 complete idiots. One of the idiots is Michael Konik, who wrote a book of gambling stories related to poker, but who has little experience playing the game. He was one of the commentators for Showdown at the Sands? I dunno, one of the non-WPT/WSOP big money tournaments that aired on cable. He was joined by Howard Lederer, and throughout we get to here this guy give advice to one of the top tournament players in the world because he happened to write a popular book that's mostly unrelated to the game.

Anyway, Michael Konik is playing in the World Series of Blackjack. He has been betting large amounts of money when unwarranted (from the very beginning and throughout the tournament so far), and eventually it's down to 3 people with 5 or so hands to go. He has 3850 chips and the other guys have well over 10 or 15k each. Now he decides to bet the minimum of 100 for 3 consecutive hands, and gets...a blackjack, another blackjack, and an 11 which he doubles on and wins.

He goes on to finish 3rd because of the dumbest play I've seen in this tournament (and there's been no shortage), or any tournament really.

I'm still amazed that this is on television. Why don't we have a coin flipping or war tournament? Considering the only variable in these is money management, you'd think the players could at least get this part right.

After I finished watching this Wheel of Fortune was on. In case anyone's wondering, the optimal time to solve a puzzle if you ever appear on an early 80's version of the show is with over $1750. I'm going to try and crack the mysteries of Hollywood Squares later.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: For those who hate Michael Konik (very OT)

Senior Choppy,

Raji could use help making donuts.

If you come to Raji and make donuts I promise the Daryn monster that is turning honest men into sand heathens isn't allowed in. No no no.

Old 04-20-2004, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not able to sleep, so I'm watching the World Series of Blackjack, which is unbearable. I'm in no shape to be sitting in the 15/30 game online, and since I have no other real hobbies, I can't help myself.

There are 2 players that understand how to play to some degree (minimum wager for most of the tournament), and then 3 complete idiots. One of the idiots is Michael Konik, who wrote a book of gambling stories related to poker, but who has little experience playing the game. He was one of the commentators for Showdown at the Sands? I dunno, one of the non-WPT/WSOP big money tournaments that aired on cable. He was joined by Howard Lederer, and throughout we get to here this guy give advice to one of the top tournament players in the world because he happened to write a popular book that's mostly unrelated to the game.

Anyway, Michael Konik is playing in the World Series of Blackjack. He has been betting large amounts of money when unwarranted (from the very beginning and throughout the tournament so far), and eventually it's down to 3 people with 5 or so hands to go. He has 3850 chips and the other guys have well over 10 or 15k each. Now he decides to bet the minimum of 100 for 3 consecutive hands, and gets...a blackjack, another blackjack, and an 11 which he doubles on and wins.

He goes on to finish 3rd because of the dumbest play I've seen in this tournament (and there's been no shortage), or any tournament really.

I'm still amazed that this is on television. Why don't we have a coin flipping or war tournament? Considering the only variable in these is money management, you'd think the players could at least get this part right.

After I finished watching this Wheel of Fortune was on. In case anyone's wondering, the optimal time to solve a puzzle if you ever appear on an early 80's version of the show is with over $1750. I'm going to try and crack the mysteries of Hollywood Squares later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Konik has far from "Little experience" playing the game, if you are referring to poker and certainly HAD more experience than McManus did when he made it to the final table of the WSOP.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:19 PM

If the guy has won a major tournament I have yet to hear about it.

Regardless, he's the worst blackjack player I've ever seen on that show.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy has won a major tournament I have yet to hear about it.

Regardless, he's the worst blackjack player I've ever seen on that show.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he won a major tournament. You said he had "little experience", that's vastly different that saying he won a major tournament, that's all.