Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 12:18 PM

Default My thought process then vs. your thought process now...

I look back on some hand histories and know what I'm thinking at the time and it feels right at the time, but in retrospect, I'm not so sure.

My first hand at the table, but I saw the 3 hands before this hand SB has open raised in all 3:

I'm in the BB with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Folded to SB who raises, I 3-bet( <font color="red"> I like this play preflop vs. this guy but would like to hear more from others </font> ), he calls

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he calls. <font color="red"> Probably doesn't have a K. Could have A high, pocket pair, random hand like J 10. Who knows. </font>

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he calls. <font color="red"> He definitely doesn't have an 8, 98% sure he doesn't have a K. Could have mid-low pocket pair or A high </font>

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He checks, I bet, he calls. <font color="red"> Well, I probably have him beat. I feel myself betting, but am not sure why. </font>

He shows A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I win.

I think this hand ONLY happened this way because I 3-bet preflop. Had I not, he would have definitely bet the flop and at least the turn.

Would you have 3-bet preflop? Check behind on the river? Anything different in between?

Take this hand in context of a HULA match. Granted, it's somewhat player specific, I probably would have played it the same until the river, which I probably would have checked behind.

Cup
Old 04-20-2004, 12:44 PM

Default I liked the way you played it

I think the 3-bet preflop is a good move. The hand gets easier to play postflop and you have position on him.

I like the riverbet as well. I would probably have checked it if it was something like K38 6 7 though. But with the pair I think you have an easy valuebet.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: My thought process then vs. your thought process now...

Regarding your river bet...
Maybe this is a leak in my game, but lately when I find myself in this situation on the river I end up checking it down.

I ask myself, what would he call with that I could beat or what better hand would he muck for 1 bet versus how much would I hate to be raised.

Maybe he mucks a 3 for 1 bet, but I have a hard time believing most players would call with an A high. Especially after your preflop play how could he think his A-rag is worth a bet?
Old 04-20-2004, 01:13 PM

Many people will find a hand in their mind that they can beat, such as a smaller ace or QJ and make that be their reason for calling the river bet with ace-high.

Of course, who am I to talk, I called turn and river bets with jack high yesterday and won. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 02:59 PM

Default Re: I liked the way you played it

[ QUOTE ]
I like the riverbet as well. I would probably have checked it if it was something like K38 6 7 though. But with the pair I think you have an easy valuebet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the other player going to call with. I would think if he calls the river he is beat.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:30 PM

If you had a read on this player that said he was aggressive preflop but not that aggressive later you could call preflop and raise flop no matter what, hoping he would fold if he didnt hit. You want him out and he only hits a pair 1/3. (Specially, in a headsup match I would do this sometimes to mix it up)

But normally I would raise preflop if I wanted to play 22 (I dont like small pairs, you never know where you are).

Riverbet is ok. (I would probably check cause there isnt a lot of hands he will call with that is worse, but I am starting to think I have to bet more on river.)
Old 04-20-2004, 03:45 PM

I play the hand in the exact same way. I get happy on the flop when he calls, i get even happier when the board pairs.

I've started to reconsider 3 betting this preflop though, if it was 55 i would, i have a chance at making him put more money in with the worst of it preflop and postflop. 22 i don't have that, but the part that i dislike more is once i 3 bet preflop i've just signed the papers with the opponent that he's going to call me untill the river. That isn't appealing really, because he wont be making a mistake against my hand on the flop and probably a small mistake on the turn since i'm going to value bet the river and thus give him one big bet in implied odds.

Him being aggro, if i call preflop, then raise the flop blind he then can make more of a mistake and i have a great chance of winning the hand.