Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Hand feedback please

Its early stages in a NLHE event on Ladbrokes. Starting chips 1500, the blinds are 10/20. I'm the big blind. The hand has MP limper, and SB-1 who raises it to 100. I have J7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s, so i just call. The limper also calls. The flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so i have a straight draw and flush draw. I raise it 120, the limper calls, but the SB-1 re-raises another 120, I call and so does the limper. The turn comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I made my flush and now have a straight flush draw. I'm almost certain I have the SB-1 beat, I put him on a big pair. I'm more worried about the limper, I make my mind up to go all-in. The limper folds, the SB-1 thinks for a while then calls.

Any feedback on how I played this hand would me appreciated.

Thanks

Result in white:

<font color="white"> He showed As Ad, with a harmless diamond coming on the river giving him the nut flush. </font>
Old 04-20-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Hand feedback please

Haven't looked at the results yet.

Preflop:
Pretty terrible call here. It's a garbage hand that you will have to play out of position, and your call doesn't even close the action (it would still be a bad call if it closed the action, just less bad). Playing J7, suited or not, in a raised pot out of position is a -EV move for anyone. It's particularly bad with these fairly small stacks.

I found it amusing/puzzling that you said that you "just" call. This seems to imply that you would raise with hands that were just a little better (JTs?). As much as calling with J7s here would be a mistake, raising with JTs would be a bigger one. If I'm mis-interpreting, I apologize.

Flop:
That's about as good a flop as you are going to get with that hand, with an open ender plus a flush draw. You bet and are raised. Uh oh. The raise is small enough and your draw is big enough that you have to at least call. I'd strongly consider going all-in here. He may have a better flush draw of his own that you could get him to lay down (although if you think he would call with nothing but a flush draw, you can't raise here). Again you are out of position and your call of the raise does not close the action, which is not a great situation to be in.

Turn:
You have to go all-in here. If you are right about SB-1 having a big pair, you want to make him pay to see another card if one of those cards is a diamond. If you are going to play J7s in the first place, you pretty much have to be happy to put all your chips in when you make the flush, because otherwise why did you even play the hand in the first place?

I was going to look at the result, but either it isn't there or something funky is going on with my computer and i can't see it. I'm going to guess that you lost the hand, since you posted it. If you lost it on the river to a big pair with a diamond, you got most of your chips in while you were way ahead, so good job. If you lost to A-something of diamonds, well, that's what you get for playing J7s with a raiser.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:01 PM

If you left click and hold, then move the pointer down u should c the result. I don't usually play that hand, in fact I am generally quite a tight player, and definitely wouldnt raise with J10 suited. I wanted to see the flop, and unfortunately got enuff of it to commit me. I take on all ur points and find them to have a lot of substance. I still think I did the right thing when I made my flush, but would you describe his call good or bad?
Old 04-20-2004, 02:16 PM

Given the fact that you limped PF, and with possible straights and flushes on the board, his call is probably debateable, but it's hard for people to lay down AA.

But, I think the point is this is the type of hand that show why you fold trash like J7s. IF you flop something to it, more often than not you're going to spend a lot of chips chasing something, and may already be dead. What if your flush hadn't come on 4th? You'd still have a straight to chase...and the flush. So early in the tournament I'm laying down that hand in a heartbeat to a raiser.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:16 PM

Ah. Got it now. I tried that before, but it didn't work.

You definitely did the right thing when you made the flush. His call was marginal if he knew you were fairly tight. He's got to think you have at least 2 pair, and probably a straight or a flush.

You were an 86% favorite on the turn, so pushing was definitely the right play.

I don't like his call. Unless he thinks you are a maniac, he should know he is behind.

You claim you are tight, but yet here is this hand. Playing a couple hands for variation is OK, but:

a) don't do it often.
b) try to do it in postion
c) pick hands that have more possibilities than J7s. 89s, 9To, and 56s all strike me as much better hands to try this sort of thing with...