Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 10:17 PM

Default AJo Hand from Paradise $50 NL

Here is a hand I recently got involved in while trying to clear some bonus money at paradise. It was early so no real reads on the villian. I was reading him for a worse Jack since he was calling me down. But when the river paired I figured I would just check-call a reasonable bet in case he was calling down with a 9. Anyone see any fault in my play? Anyone play this differently? Comments on all streets appreciated.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

MP2 ($60.75)
CO ($131.75)
Button ($25.25)
Hero ($46.25)
BB ($29.00)
UTG ($21.00)
UTG+1 ($49.00)
MP1 ($47.50)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
Hero bets $3, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $3, MP1 folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($9) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero bets $10, UTG+1 calls $10.

River: ($29) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $11, Hero calls $11.

Final Pot: $51
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $51, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

results later.

-gravis
Old 04-20-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: AJo Hand from Paradise $50 NL

Hi gravis,

Looks excellent:

Preflop:
You have the option to raise, but with so many limpers, it's best to call. If you raise, you're hoping to pick up the pot right there.

Postflop:
Flop, bet the pot. You're ahead.
Turn, bet the pot. You have top two pair. You should still be ahead.
River, check. If he was on a draw, you gave him a chance to bluff (it was a wimpy attempt at a bluff, if it was). If he has a 9 and called you down to the river with it, God bless him.

I'm going to guess that you did win this pot with top two pair.

Garland
Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 AM

garland:

that's exactly what i was thinking on the river, hope he was on a draw and would bluff with it or a worse jack, but it turns out he was holding K9o and took it down. Which hurts in the short-term but i will gladly let him draw to that all he wants as long as he keeps calling me down.

-gravis
Old 04-20-2004, 03:09 PM

I have run into idiots like this on Paradise. They will call down most of their stack trying to hit a two outer. I was in a hand with a jerk like this a while back. I was in MP with KK. He limped before me, and I made a substantial raise pre-flop. He called along with another player. The flop was jack high rags. He leads out, and I come over the top and severely overbet the pot with a $5 raise. He calls, the other guy folds. The turn is a blank. He checks, so I know he doesn't have me beat. I bet $15 at the pot. The idiot calls. The river is an ace. By now I knew I was beat. I was sure this moron was chasing with an ace. He checks, and I check behind him. Sure enough he turned over AJo. I typed "nice river" and this asswipe has the nerve to tell me "Thanks for betting like a fool". That comment speaks volumes for the quality of opponents you can find at low stakes no limit. Funny thing was I never saw this moron again at the no limit tables. I play NL at Paradise all the time and I notice that the biggest idiots usually aren't around for very long. Sure it hurts, but I make very few mistakes, and will rarely get broke. On the other hand, I have skinned more than my share of sheep. These are exactly the types of people you want calling your bets. I'm sure my opponent wouldn't have thought my betting was foolish if he didn't river aces up and lost 75% of his stack in the process.