Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Stars Limit Hold\'em

I am a pretty good limit hold'em player.

I can't beat the ring games on stars to save my life, and I am trying to figure out what the problem is. Below are my theories:

1) I'm really not that good. This is a sound theory, belied by my results, but certainly possible.
2) I've altered my game to play at Party in a way that is causing huge leaks in tighter games.
3) Fewer multiway pots.

The thing is, I don't think that the players in the games that I've played are substantially better at Stars than they are at Party. There are as many loose aggressive types as there are elsewhere. But the feel of the games is certainly different. Anyone thought about this?

RH
Old 04-19-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Stars Limit Hold\'em

I have the same problem...so no more PS for me!
Old 04-19-2004, 10:20 AM

I find the same results. I'm a solid winning player at 2/4 and 3/6 Party games. And am a winning player (without the same large number of hands to confirm) at 5/10 Party. But, at stars, I'm a break even 2/4 player.

I guessed that to mean that there weren't the horrible players the way there are at Party. Maybe the top players are the same, but it seems to be many many less fish at that site. No bonuses could lead to that.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:20 AM

This is just a guess, but possibly much of your edge at party comes from playing tighter than your opponents before the flop. In the tighter games at Stars, you lose this edge and have only your postflop skills which aren't that well-refined. You're probably not a losing player at stars, but have a very small edge that causes huge fluctuations. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:52 AM

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

RH
Old 04-19-2004, 12:04 PM

Stars players are not better than party's but they are weak tight (colelcting FPPs). More aggressive play can help.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:36 PM

Robk hit it on the nose.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, I don't think that the players in the games that I've played are substantially better at Stars than they are at Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree with this part of the statement, although that could depend on what you mean be substantially. There have been various poles with party and pacific being voted as having the worst players.

The fact that Party does not have the micro levels, that are available at other sites, can add many poor players to the LL games.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:35 AM

I was doing great on UB and started playing on Stars to clear a bonus. At first I could not win. The game there is definately different even from UB. I have gotten alot more aggressive and that seems to have helped. They are lucrative once you get a feel for them though. I am playing two 1/2 tables at a time and knocking down about 3BB/100 hands/ table this month. I am a lot more aggressive pre-flop and on the flop than I was on UB but tend to back off on the turn and river. I semi-bluff the flop a lot and this seems to work. There maybe other things I am doing different also but those are the ones that come to mind. I hope that helps.