Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Could anyone justify a fold here?

I am playing in party's Million dollar tourney. The tourney pays top 130 and there are about 150 left when the following hand comes up...
I am in the BB holding KK with about 20000 chips. Under the gun has about 6000 chips and goes all-in. Folded to SB who raises all his 30000 chips...call or fold?

My choice and reults in white below...
<font color="white"> My thoughts holding KK is that if this guy was holding AA why would he try so hard to isolate the small stack when I am the only possible caller and he risks me folding a hand that might give his AA some action if that is what he is representing. I also know that if I call and win I will probably be the chip leader, I feel that this guy has just handed me the chip lead and I push all my chips.
UG turns up AK...SB turns up AA...I turn up KK...no one improves and we have a new chip leader as I exit the tourney. Would anyone fold here with the thinking that with only 20 spots to the money you dont risk your whole stack in this spot. After five hours of great play I feel like complete crap after losing. </font>

Thanks for the help all.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Could anyone justify a fold here?

I would have to say that's a tough spot to be in. I agree with your thought process about his all-in isolation attempt. I also agree that most of the time your KK would be ahead here. Fold and you almost surely make the $. If this is significant to you, then folding would be the best option, albeit a very tough laydown. Call and lose, you bust out near the bubble. Call and win, you stand a much better chance of obtaining a big payday. I would call here thinking I was ahead perhaps having to dodge an Ace comming on the board. Hard to swallow a tough break like that
Old 04-18-2004, 12:31 AM

you shoulda called, and predicted that party would add 1000 bucks prize for 130-160 because of the freezing problems [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2004, 12:32 AM

btw, i would call anyway.....good chance you have 30k guy crushed.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:34 AM

from a pure EV stance obviously u cant fear the bubble... becoming chip leader near the break is an AWESOME position where u abuse short stacks and ure chips grow like no other in the tourney.

you definately made the right decision... if u ended up chip leader then u would have a great shot at the 250k!!!

just ask ureself if u would fold if the buyin was 60 instead of 600... i truly doubt it.

pete