Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2004, 04:48 PM

Default How often will this happen? (yes i would like some cheese)

with this whine.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (10 handed)

UTG+1 ($28.10)
UTG+2 ($33.20)
MP1 ($6.65)
MP2 ($8)
MP3 ($48.95)
CO ($26.15)
Hero ($25.20)
SB ($19.45)
BB ($11.85)
UTG ($26.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG+1 calls $0.25, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero raises to $2, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $1.75.

Flop: ($4.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+1 bets $0.25, Hero raises to $3.25, UTG+1 raises to $14.1, Hero goes all-in for $23.20, UTG+1 calls.

anybody play this differently? is it even remotely possible to fold given that ive never played with this guy before?

Turn: ($50.65) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>

River: ($50.65) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>

Final Pot: $50.65

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh Qs (three of a kind, queens).
UTG doesn't show.
UTG+1 shows Jd Tc (straight, king high).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins $50.65. </font>

pretty sure i played this as well as possible (if not please tell me what my thought process could have been). i feel like there was no way i could put him on KK or JT given that he limp-called $2 to a degree of certainty where i could fold. and even though he has JT i'm still only down 3-2 on the flop.

my question is, those of you who have played thosands and thousands of hands online, how often can i expect to be brutalized by the cards to this extent? once every 500 hands? 1000? 10000? i see around 22% of flops. (ive played for about a year and have never had a beat quite like this.) i have flopped a set of queens against a set of kings, but that didnt seem as bad.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:51 PM

Default Re: How often will this happen? (yes i would like some cheese)

Tough luck.

bet more on the flop. There are a ton of cards that could hurt you given that board. You were screwed anyway but betting more would be better.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:58 PM

good point about going bigger on the flop. i was planning on a big overbet on the turn if it wasnt a terrible card, but now that i look at it again you're right. thanks.
Old 04-17-2004, 07:44 PM

Stuff like this happens all the time, especially at the low limit tables. The only thing I woulda done differently would be to raise more on the flop, and get all of your money in ON THE FLOP if possible(which you did).

Other than that, nothing much......

As far as how often this will happen???? I have no idea... the beginning of this month, I lost $300 playing $.50 BB NLHE against unbelievable hands... set over set, quads over boat, river 2-outers... it was unbelievable.....

I whined and cried, and for the past 10 days or so, have won back $200 of what I lost(at the $.25 BB tables, for the most part, no less) so I still have a chance to make this month profitable somewhat... it happens.