Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2004, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Sample This! (A Quiz)

for 1), I think that the sample size is more than sufficient. given human nature and that this guy seems to have it in for you, I definately think that we can infer a lot from the past ten repititions.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:10 PM

1) yes. if i play 10 hands that will be over at least 50 table hands and it is more than mere chance that the player has raised my limps and folded my raises. while i've limp/reraised once in 3,000 hands (small sample), i'd consider doing it now.

2)b.

3)a. and lol.

4)a.

5)d.

thanks for stimulating my brain,
Pete
Old 04-16-2004, 05:34 PM

Actually, although I realize your post was not entirely serious, it's important to know that a small sample size can be useful if you have a aproximate model for your data.

This is how scientific polling works. You'd be surprised to see how very small the sample sizes are in some of the very well respected polls. Nelson ratings for TV are an example. They actually poll a very small ammount of people, and then fit the results to a normal model to extrapolate an accurate indication of the entire population's TV watching habits.

This, I think, especially applies to the Gnome problem. One Gnome is a special case, but let's say you see 4-5 Gnomes. If all these Gnomes are close to 10cm, and we know we're selection of Gnomes is appropriate, (ie. we didn't just select gnomes from the GNBA, or gnome kids), we can make some fairly certain claims about the entire population of gnomes. Only because all creature heights are normally distributed...... you know, if you grab 4-5 adult humans
Old 04-16-2004, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This, I think, especially applies to the Gnome problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well it's certainly interesting what people will pick up on.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Except for the Nielsen reference, you've pretty well summarized pp. 83-85 of Derek Rowntree's "Statistics Without Tears" (most highly recommended, btw).

Old 04-17-2004, 04:36 AM

That is the craziest answer I have ever heard, great post. Go Wolf PAck or Rebels?