Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Is a 4/8 Game unbeatable

[ QUOTE ]
Between the rake ant tips at least 10BB's are comming off the table every hour

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably more. But what difference does it make if only half a BB comes from you? You should pay less rake by playing less hands. Its funny how at a loose table usually the guy who wins the least pots wins the most money in the long run. If your hourly rate is 1.5 BB's with no rake at the table then you still make 1BB/hr.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:20 PM

I don't know what else to say. I mean, people grow bankrolls and move up in limits regularly.

And have you seen typical low-limit live games? They're more loose than typical Party 1/2. Guys calling 3 cold with any 2 suited and such, chasing their runner runners till the end, calling hopeless rivers "just to keep you honest." A friend was at the Borgata 2/4 a couple months ago, was dealt AA, had 4 call his raise, one stuck around on the turn, noticed he was the only other player in the hand and said, "Well, I guess I'll take one for the team" and called all the way with a pair of 5s. That's why the games are beatable.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:35 PM

I play mostly 3/6 live, but 4/8 isn't much different. Not only is this game beatable, but IMO you can beat the HELL out of it. Sure the rake takes more %wise than at a 6/12 or 10/20 table, but the players are so much worse that it more than makes up for it. (I agree that in order for this game to be beatable you need the fish to be out in schools, but thanks to the WPT and the Travel Channel, they are EVERYWHERE.) The 1 SB rake that comes off of the table per hand (on average) at a 4/8 table gets replaced in triplicate when morons #1, #2 and #3 limp preflop with garbage out position, you raise w/AQo on the button, they call, they miss the flop (or hit and make TPcrapK)and muck or chase middle pair to the ends of the earth. God bless 'em.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:50 PM

thats 20$/ hr/ player
Old 04-15-2004, 01:58 PM

Yes, most low limit games are very beatable. Keep in mind, you could be crushing a 4-8 game for 2bb/hour and still only be up $1,600 after 160 hours of play -- which might be 4 months worth for a typical recreational player like myself.

HOWEVER I do believe some low limit games are very hard to beat due to structure and rake. Here's an example of two games I played on a recent trip to California and Nevada.

Lucky Chances, outside SF:
3-6 game with $1 sb, $3bb and $3 live post on button. $4 is dropped before the flop. I think the extra bb on the button plus the upfront drop makes this game pretty tough to beat.

Hilton, Reno:
4-8 game with half-kill when same player wins two pots in a row (goes back after one hand unless same player wins again).

$2 sb and $2bb. $2 drop on flop, $1 at $20 and $1 at $40 (I think this is the rake, not positive).

This game I would love to play in all the time and would think would be very beatable.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Whoops

25 SB, not BB.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:16 PM

I thought the other post was pretty funny, until I read the second one.

Thanks,
Bob T.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:14 PM

Why don't you invite him to sit down and play 80/160 with you Clarkmeister? There the effects of the rake and tips will be negligible, lol. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]