Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Skip Hold\'Em Poker?

I've read a couple Hold'em books and I think from those books such as WLLH and this forum that I have gained a good understanding of the strategies of the game. I would like to read Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players but I was wondering if you guys thought it is necessary to read Hold'em Poker by Sklansky as well.

I know that the best thing to do would be to read all the books I can but I'd rather keep the money in my bank roll [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Skip Hold\'Em Poker?

Theory of Poker is a must. Go there if you haven't already.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:00 AM

Mason will likely disagree but I didn't find it necesary. I think that if you have posted/read a lot here, and read WLLH you will be fine just reading HPFAP.

As for other books I think that the much hyped (we'll find out if it is over or underhyped) book by Ed Miller/Majorkong will likely be a must if it is low limit hold'em you wish to crush. For now you would do well to find and read his various essay posts which are as good an advertising campaign for a book that I have ever seen.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:20 AM

i would read TOP before HFAP...HFAP reference a lot of material that is in TOP...
Old 04-15-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Go Directly to HEPFAP, Pass Go, Collect $200

Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players is THE book to read if you want to play winning hold 'em. A lot of people say the book is too complicated for beginners (and it doesn't seem like you are one), but I don't buy this theory at all.

HEPFAP was the very first poker book I read. I read it before ever playing a single hand of hold 'em, and knowing the rules of the game is really the only pre-requisite you need to understand it. People often state that HEPFAP is too complicated for beginners, but if you've ever read academic literature (and understood it) then understanding HEPFPAP will not be a challenge.

As long as you realize that it is a book that requires study, and you study it properly, you will be fine.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:53 AM

As a beginner, I have found the sections in HEP on preflop strategy and on good flops for various starting hands, in particuler, very valuable. I feel HEP is great along with WLLHE, and agree TOP is must.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Go Directly to HEPFAP, Pass Go, Collect $200

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I will look over Thoery of Poker some more and then try Hold'em For Advanced Players. I guess the worst thing that could happen is that I realize I might need to read Hold'em Poker but I don't think that should happens.

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2004, 12:41 PM

I just bought HEP last month. I've read TOP, HEFAP, TPFAP, Winning LL HE, and others before it.

I would recommend HEP - you'll get more back from your game than the $20 you spend on it.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:50 PM

neotope,

I would also recommend HEP. If budget is a concern in adding to your poker library, you might want to check out www.overstock.com

Also, I've just posted a thread in the Internet forum called
Educational Poker Sites. You may find something of use there.

Cheers.
JTrout.