Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 07:12 AM

Default How often should you scoop in loose Omaha8

over the past 34 hours playing in pacifics omaha8 games I have only scooped 5 hands, in these games it is usually the nuts that wins in each direction so I appreciate your not going to scoop very often but I was just wondering how often it should happen. Also do you scoop more frequently in tighter games?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: How often should you scoop in loose Omaha8

That number seems a little low. Are you counting high hands that took the pot because no low was out there?

I assume the game you are playing is low stakes and loose. Is there much preflop raising? A passive game will allow you to play more hands from early position and see free flops from the blinds.

Yes, you scoop more in a tight game. People often will not contest the pot when the flop comes with two or three high cards. But these pots will be fairly samll.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:47 AM

Hi chaos,

I thought it was low, I think I have been having a bit of a dry run lately, that figure does include high only hands but I am generaly very tight choosing hands that only have high potential, the game is very loose passive (80% see the flop, 5% pre-flop raises). I think my low scoop rate is mostly a result of of short term luck, I was just wondering what a normal rate of scooping is in these games?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:28 AM

I think the figure is low, although in 34 +/- hours is not a very large sample and is not enough to develop a trend.

On the other hand, if you are playing too tight on the high side in a loose game, your scoop % will be low. I knew a gentleman in SF who only played high hands at the 4/8 level and was a constant winner!