Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 04:52 PM

Default Re: how to figure tips for tourney dealers

the formula is whatever you feel like, i suppose they would want/expect 5% of your winnings as most the dealers I know do. They will like more they will take less, if it was a set thing then it wouldn't be a tip, it would be part of the rake
Old 04-13-2004, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I consider paying a fixed percentage of your win to be fuzzy thinking. A dealer in a cheap tourney still deserves a decent amount of money for their efforts, and a dealer in a $10,000 buyin event does not deserve to make $100/hour. So, I tip by my method.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think paying a fixed percentage does make sense considering the fact that the higher buy-in tournies usually have more experienced dealers who should therefore be getting tipped proportionaly higher. I expect the winner of the WSOP this year to tip 70,000-100,000 USD. This does seem like a lot but the tips go to the dealers as well as all of the floor people invloved, your tip is really being chopped a lot of ways. Especially for the big buy in tournies.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my cardroom in New York, tipping anything less than 5% of your prize is frowned upon -- perhaps seriously depending on the floorperson at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all that means is that they are not paying the dealers enough so they want you to tip 5% to make up for the money that they don't give to the dealers.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think all that means is that they are not paying the dealers enough so they want you to tip 5% to make up for the money that they don't give to the dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're not paying the dealers anything -- in fact, the dealers pay the club a $10 cleaning fee for every night they work (as some clubs make their dealers stay after closing and do custodial work as well).

The dealers work exclusively for tips, but it's not as bad a deal for them as it might sound. A dealer working an 8 hour shift (of ring games) might make over $300 for the night (though often less, of course).

The dealers do get a small hourly wage (plus tips) for working the tournaments, but it is much less profitable than working the cash games. Hence, it's important to tip well. If the dealers were paid more, the rake would simply be higher, so you might as well factor a decent tip into the price of doing business.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think paying a fixed percentage does make sense considering the fact that the higher buy-in tournies usually have more experienced dealers who should therefore be getting tipped proportionaly higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this makes no sense to me. Are you saying that the dealers in a $10,000 buyin tournament deserve 100 times as much in tip money as the dealers in a $100 buyin tournament? That's how it appears. Even if they're better, they're not 100x better. And even if we factor in the extra play you get in the bigger events, they're not 20x better either.

[ QUOTE ]
I expect the winner of the WSOP this year to tip 70,000-100,000 USD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you aware that they are withholding something like 3% of the prize pool already in this event? It was 6% under Becky. It seems to me that they should be able to more than adequately compensate the dealers if they're going to keep $300 from each player's entry.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 04-14-2004, 11:16 AM

Hi Varlos,

[ QUOTE ]
Just for the record, I didn't mean to disparage implicitly those living in the hinterlands (that is, outside New York City). It's just that the cost of living here is so high that I have to squeeze as much value out of the city as I can, and sometimes that involves being passively snobbish; it's one of the perks we get.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

As a novelist, I deal with New Yorkers all the time -- editors, etc. -- and it's sometimes rather humorous to hear the "passive snobbery" as you so eloquently put it. One of the most humorous examples concerned a book that was partly set in Montana, where two characters went out to dinner and one ordered shrimp.

The line-editor wrote this gem of a New-Yorker-ism in the margin: "Shrimp??? In Montana???"

To which I replied: "Yes, and they even have flush toilets too!" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Cris
Old 04-15-2004, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think paying a fixed percentage does make sense considering the fact that the higher buy-in tournies usually have more experienced dealers who should therefore be getting tipped proportionaly higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this makes no sense to me. Are you saying that the dealers in a $10,000 buyin tournament deserve 100 times as much in tip money as the dealers in a $100 buyin tournament? That's how it appears. Even if they're better, they're not 100x better. And even if we factor in the extra play you get in the bigger events, they're not 20x better either.

[ QUOTE ]
I expect the winner of the WSOP this year to tip 70,000-100,000 USD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you aware that they are withholding something like 3% of the prize pool already in this event? It was 6% under Becky. It seems to me that they should be able to more than adequately compensate the dealers if they're going to keep $300 from each player's entry.

[/ QUOTE ]

check out this article by Andrew Glazer and tell me what you think. You and him seem to strongly disagree on this topic.
http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeat...p;art_id=13924
web page
Old 04-15-2004, 06:44 AM

thanks for the info. playing and dealing diffrent tournaments, I've recieved this question several. I think I can give some kind of awnser now.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:11 PM

What can I say? Andy's a great guy, but on this issue he's wrong.

I still don't see why in two tournaments, one costing $200, and another costing $1000, where the total amount of dealer time per player is only slightly higher in the latter, why you should tip 5x more in the latter.